Adding a goose to a duck flock

AimToMisbehave

Songster
Jul 13, 2015
Snohomish, WA
So, we're adopting a goose!

He's young, and was raised by the sanctuary staff from a gosling, so he's super used to people. He doesn't have a mate, and used to try to escape their waterfowl yard until they took in a flock of four khaki campbells (two male, two female), which he immediately attached himself to. He stays with them all day long, watching over them and herding them into the barn when strangers come into the yard. His good behavior with people and strong natural predisposition to flock guardianship are EXACTLY what we were looking for in a goose, so starting Tuesday, we're doing a trial foster period to see if he'll do as well with our flock of runners (2 males, 7 females) as he did with his khakis.

I'm already kind of in love with him, and I really want this to work! Does anyone have any advice for integrating a goose into a duck flock? The sanctuary bird caretaker is coming to my house to help make sure he's settled in, and she seems pretty sure it'll all be fine, but I want to make sure I'm doing all that I can to facilitate my ducks being happy with this goose as well as this goose being happy with my ducks.

When I introduced my first American buff gander to my 7 free range pekin ducks on the pond, he was a little shy. I just left them to it and at first he would swim behind the ducks, trying to keep up until he eventually was accepted after a week or so and was obviously then part of the flock. Definitely have a separate bowl for feedings because after he was comfy with the ducks, he would shoo away the few that seemed to annoy him. I've since brought him up to the yard geese corral and put 3 rescued adult farm geese back there and they took charge immediately but they seem to be very very protective of all the ducks. They all come running through the field from the pond to the house together as one flock at feeding time. It's an adorable sight.

He came home today!

He saw the ducks and immediately tried to go to them, which scared the pants off them for about twenty minutes. There was some honking and pouting, then they finally came out of hiding and he's been following them around the yard ever since. They're slooowly allowing him closer, and I think they'll need a little more time to warm up to him, but so far, he seems to already love them. Plus he walks around looking super haughty all the time, which I ADORE. This is a trial foster period, but I'm really hoping everyone continues to get along so we can keep him!

That's great he is getting along well! One thing I would be VERY careful of is that he never tries to breed any of them, that can be fatal. I learned that the hard way.
sad.png
I hope they accept him into the flock!

That's great he is getting along well! One thing I would be VERY careful of is that he never tries to breed any of them, that can be fatal. I learned that the hard way. :(  I hope they accept him into the flock!

That's my fear too! But he's been at the sanctuary since he was a baby, a little over a year, and he had adopted four khaki campbells there (2 males, 2 females) with no issues, so fingers crossed he stays good!

Back
Top Bottom