Greenhouse frame coops

trifecta

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Laidley, QLD, Australia
Hello,

Looking for some advice from those of you that have converted the cheap metal greenhouse frames into a coop. I'm looking for ideas to upcycle/cheaply build a second coop to house young birds until they are ready to join the main flock, or potentially to use as a separate breeding pen. I was mulling around under the house, and we have an old metal frame greenhouse where the cover has pretty much disintegrated. I'm thinking about dismantling it and attempting to reassemble in a different configuration, covering with hardware cloth (we bought a 30m roll when we built the main coop), and covering the roof with some leftover roofing from the main coop.

What I'm not sure about is how to put a door on it! If anyone can post pics of how theirs turned out I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Natalie

Hello,

Looking for some advice from those of you that have converted the cheap metal greenhouse frames into a coop. I'm looking for ideas to upcycle/cheaply build a second coop to house young birds until they are ready to join the main flock, or potentially to use as a separate breeding pen. I was mulling around under the house, and we have an old metal frame greenhouse where the cover has pretty much disintegrated. I'm thinking about dismantling it and attempting to reassemble in a different configuration, covering with hardware cloth (we bought a 30m roll when we built the main coop), and covering the roof with some leftover roofing from the main coop.

What I'm not sure about is how to put a door on it! If anyone can post pics of how theirs turned out I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Natalie
Advanced search>titles only> greenhouse frame coop

Maybe do a search on 'hoop coops' too...same issue, attaching wood framing for door onto metal structure.

Posting pic of your frame might help too.

Hi aart

Great idea, sorry for the delays in posting pictures. The first is what our current coop looks like- its really more of an aviary, we are tropical/subtropical here in SE Queensland, so I'm much more worried about ventilation than keeping the chooks warm. The second pic is of the greenhouse frame partially dismantled, I think along the lines of how I might try to re-assemble it.

Plan so far- connect the 2 parts with zip ties. Add some framing along the back where the tubing doesn't go around the bottom (essentially where I took the top half off). Cover with mini-mesh hardware cloth (probably with zip ties?).

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

Zipties can work to attach HC, get the UV protected ones.
Conduit clamps could work to attach any wooden framing, like for doors and/or solid roof rafters.

Back
Top Bottom