4H showmanship vs exhibition?

Butterfree

Hatching
Sep 28, 2016
Hey all! So A couple months back I talk to my son about joining 4H next year. At the moment he is for, next year he will be five in July. When I asked around with 4H experience people they basically told me for showmanship he can choose any breed he wants that it doesn't have to be perfect and that he just has to be able to handle it and show it. So I let him choose any bird he wanted. He picked out his rooster Butterfree, a blue Andalusian. He's been responsible for the bird and has been doing a great job! I am just now looking into learning about everything to get ready for next year. But now I'm being told that the bird is too big for him for showmanship. I would like to get everyone else's experience and opinions on this please. If we need to get a smaller bird, that is fine, I just hate to tell him he can't
use the bird that he picked out. He prefers the bigger birds.

If it's easier for him, go for it. I like to do showmanship with smaller birds, but if thats what works for him than I don't see a reason he shouldn't be allowed to use it. Especially if that is his favorite bird, that he has been handling and conditioning. Showmanship judges love to see kids who have conditioned their birds well and have trained their birds to be calm and used to being handled. Showmanship really is a test of not only knowledge about your bird, but also your passion for your bird. If you have a bird you really aren't passionate about, it makes it hard to win.

Good luck and have fun!

I see no reason why he can't use that bird showmanship!
smile.png
I'm guessing whoever told you that was just saying, yes, the bird is big so you might want to choose a smaller bird. As long as your son puts in the time with Butterfree (from what I read it seems like he already is) than he will be absolutely fine in showmanship. One of my friends uses his big ole' Brahma rooster for showmanship, my friend puts in the time, and he does very well despite the extra large bird. Good luck to you and yourself in the 4-H experience, it's truly wonderful!
big_smile.png

Chances are, if he puts the work in he will do better than those that use smaller birds. Being memorable helps in showmanship. Judges know the tricks.

Back
Top Bottom