Which silkie rooster should I keep?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I have 3 roosters - Orange Guy (the color of his leg band), Sirius, and James. They're all around 5 months old. All 3 are black with a bit of silver leakage starting to show. I already have an idea of who I'm keeping but I want to see what other people suggest as well. I'm trying to work more on type in my silkies, especially tail fluff and higher tails, as well as better crests.

Orange guy
Orange guy has little horns on his comb, his tail isn't very fluffy, and his wings have issues. His primary feathers seem to be sticking out a little and they don't go over the secondaries.
Orange_1.jpg
Orange_3.jpg

Orange_4.jpg

Sirius
Sirius doesn't have any major issues other than the fact he is pretty sickly. Coccidiosis hit him the hardest when they got it around 2-3 months ago. He's recovered from it now, but I just don't see him as a very healthy bird. I certainly don't want to breed in a low immune system or any health issues.
Sirius_1.jpg
Sirius_2.jpg

Sirius_3.jpg

James
James is the fluffiest of the three. Ha has the poofiest tail. He has a bit of an attitude though. I don't know if it's the hormones or what, but he hates being held, bites and isn't too fond of me.
James_3.jpg
James_6.jpg
James_7.jpg
James_8.jpg
James_9.jpg
James_5.jpg

I'd wait until they mature to make a final decision. Right now James seems the most 'rypey' but temperament is a heritable trait, Sirius is least likely, 'Orange Guy' may fill out more, and would be my choice at the present time.

I'd wait until they mature to make a final decision. Right now James seems the most 'rypey' but temperament is a heritable trait, Sirius is least likely, 'Orange Guy' may fill out more, and would be my choice at the present time.
Are they considered mature at around 1 year old?

You say Orange Guy is the best choice currently even though he has some kind of odd split in his wings? From what I've heard breeding out bad wings is pretty difficult. His comb is red-ish in color and he has the least amount of feathers on his toes out of all three, which is a trait I'm trying to improve.

Also is James' temperament alone enough to make him not a first choice? I know temperament is a big thing, but does him being pretty flighty, disliking handling and occasionally biting when about to be picked up a sure sign he'll continue to have temperament issues later on?
My current rooster (about 1,5 years old) didn't show any signs of aggression until one day this winter he started to attack people when they walked by him. He was always really sweet until then. He's never chased after anyone, but walking by him seems to really annoy him.

Edit: added closer pictures of Orange Guy's wings.

Attachments

• 20230921_195126.jpg
    20230921_195126.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230921_195032.jpg
    20230921_195032.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Inspect their toes as well:
Do they all have five toes per foot and are the fifth toes correctly positioned?

I would not breed a bird with poor health nor one that is not correct with regard to the breed standard.
Which leaves leaves James, at least for the moment.

But waiting to make the final decision until he us at least one, better two years old, would be my advice.

Inspect their toes as well:
Do they all have five toes per foot and are the fifth toes correctly positioned?
All have five toes but none have the correct fifth toe position. The majority of my hens have correctly positioned fifth toes though. And toes are pretty easy to fix, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom