Pheasant aging

Good Morning Cfaure!

This proven method of determining your pheasants age is quite simple,but not exact. First off examine your pheasants wing and pull it outward from its body. From there, you would focus on the outer feathers of the wing the "primaries". If some of the feathers are dull or starting to molt your pheasant is probably old and if they are vibrant and strong you have a young pheasant. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to determine its exact age but this is as close as I can get.

Hope this helps,
~ Sunshine Ducky

Good Morning Cfaure!

This proven method of determining your pheasants age is quite simple,but not exact. First off examine your pheasants wing and pull it outward from its body. From there, you would focus on the outer feathers of the wing the "primaries". If some of the feathers are dull or starting to molt your pheasant is probably old and if they are vibrant and strong you have a young pheasant. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to determine its exact age but this is as close as I can get.

Hope this helps,
~ Sunshine Ducky

Never heard of such a thing.If the feathers are dull or starting to molt.That doesn't make them old.It means their ready to molt!Pheasants can live up to 25 years and some even longer if their lucky.Most are fertile right up to the end.
This is why I keep records of where,who and when I purchase birds.It also helps if you lose a bird and need to replace.You can check where you got them from so you don't get a related bird.
In N.H.,Tony.

The problem is the people we got the Silver pheasant from has got NO idea how old he is. They say he is 30 years old, but they dont even live that long. So I cant go on there word. I was just wondering if he will still be fertile. I got him in a cage with 2 females. Wish me luck that he is fertile.

I know 2 people that have had silvers live to 26 years and 24 years and were fertile right to the end..I can't believe anyone would even sell a bird that is that old.
In N.H.,Tony.

I know 2 people that have had silvers live to 26 years and 24 years and were fertile right to the end..I can't believe anyone would even sell a bird that is that old.
In N.H.,Tony.
I agree, Tony. Anybody that has raised and protected a bird that long would be crazy to sell it. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom