Golden pheasants

User1234

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
Hey, I have started looking at owning some pheasants and it started with ring neck pheasants. I am planning on raising them and keeping some brood stock but letting most of them go to try and get a wild population around my area and possibly hunt them. Then I got looking at how nice golden pheasants looked. My question is will males fight in the winter? I can separate them in the spring, summer and fall but not in the winter. I know they will fight in spring but will they in the winter?

They are not as likely to fight in the winter but if you put two or several males in the same pen with females, you will more than likely lose some birds.

Also, unless your planning on releasing thousands of birds, the chances of them surviving to produce a viable, reproducing population is extremely slim.

They are not as likely to fight in the winter but if you put two or several males in the same pen with females, you will more than likely lose some birds.

Also, unless your planning on releasing thousands of birds, the chances of them surviving to produce a viable, reproducing population is extremely slim.
Thank you, I’ll find a way to keep them separate in winter. I know all about the slim chances with the ring neck pheasants but just want to give it a try. I have a buddy who released some that have survived for multiple years now. But I do know it’s slim. One more question, someone on Kijiji is offering a dozen golden pheasant hatching eggs for 75 dollars and I was wondering if that’s a good price or not. And if anyone knows a hatchery in central Alberta that offers golden pheasant chicks?

Thank you, I’ll find a way to keep them separate in winter. I know all about the slim chances with the ring neck pheasants but just want to give it a try. I have a buddy who released some that have survived for multiple years now. But I do know it’s slim. One more question, someone on Kijiji is offering a dozen golden pheasant hatching eggs for 75 dollars and I was wondering if that’s a good price or not. And if anyone knows a hatchery in central Alberta that offers golden pheasant chicks?
Buying eggs is a huge risk, as is shipping too! $75 isn't outrageous, I've seen them going on EBay for a lot more and for only 6 eggs. If your lucky you can find juvenile birds for that price on Kijiji or Craigslist.

Buying eggs is a huge risk, as is shipping too! $75 isn't outrageous, I've seen them going on EBay for a lot more and for only 6 eggs. If your lucky you can find juvenile birds for that price on Kijiji or Craigslist.
Ok, thanks I would not have to ship them as they are close so I can just pick them up. I know it’s a gamble with hatching eggs but are they harder to hatch than other eggs or are the relatively easy?

Ok, thanks I would not have to ship them as they are close so I can just pick them up. I know it’s a gamble with hatching eggs but are they harder to hatch than other eggs or are the relatively easy?
If your picking them up, you'll have a better chance of the eggs hatching....given that they are fertile to begin with....try not to jostle them around while transporting them.
You will need to keep the temperature constant and humidity within acceptable range.
They are a little more 'demanding' than chicken or quail eggs. Need to pay close attention to your incubator settings.

If your picking them up, you'll have a better chance of the eggs hatching....given that they are fertile to begin with....try not to jostle them around while transporting them.
You will need to keep the temperature constant and humidity within acceptable range.
They are a little more 'demanding' than chicken or quail eggs. Need to pay close attention to your incubator settings.
Thank you, I found some chicks for 10 dollars each. So no need to mess with eggs. I do have some questions about genetics though. The person I’m getting them from said that they will be a mix between red, yellow and peach so will the babies be one of the three or is there crosses between some? Thanks, sorry for all the questions

Thank you, I found some chicks for 10 dollars each. So no need to mess with eggs. I do have some questions about genetics though. The person I’m getting them from said that they will be a mix between red, yellow and peach so will the babies be one of the three or is there crosses between some? Thanks, sorry for all the questions
They all will be mutts. Since, Yellow Goldens were originally a mutation from a Red Golden and Peach are sorta an 'unknown' but some say it was developed by crossing Cinnamon Goldens with Yellow Goldens and there has been back breeding with Dark Throated Goldens to get a darker 'peach' color with the cape feathers of the Peach Goldens. So, the short answer is, "no telling what your going to hatch" and no telling what those juveniles will turn out looking like! except, they all will be crosses and not 'pure bred' birds. Most likely they will look mostly Red Golden.
ETA- or possibly Red Golden Splash

Last edited:

They all will be mutts. Since, Yellow Goldens were originally a mutation from a Red Golden and Peach are sorta an 'unknown' but some say it was developed by crossing Cinnamon Goldens with Yellow Goldens and there has been back breeding with Dark Throated Goldens to get a darker 'peach' color with the cape feathers of the Peach Goldens. So, the short answer is, "no telling what your going to hatch" and no telling what those juveniles will turn out looking like! except, they all will be crosses and not 'pure bred' birds. Most likely they will look mostly Red Golden.
Ok thanks, that’s too bad but I’m not going to be breeding them so no need to worry about pure lines I guess.

Ok thanks, that’s too bad but I’m not going to be breeding them so no need to worry about pure lines I guess.
I was going to suggest not breeding them....it's not very ethical to cross breed birds and then try to sell them as pure birds....not saying that you would! but they are already so mixed up that it is incredibly hard to find 'pure' birds anymore.

Back
Top Bottom