Knowledge needed.

Wild1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2014
Hi to all that read this.
I have read many forums and read many conflicting facts, so let me go through my story so far.
I recently built a large aviary measuring 12 meters x 4 meters x 3 meters high. My intention was to have several species of pheasants in the one long enclosure.
Originally I had a pair of red golden pheasants and a pair of ring neck.
For more than 1 month all seem to get along with no birds taking any notice of the other. Then I was given a pair of chukar partridge, well I was told was a pair. One bird was visibly larger than the other and one leg no evidence of a spur or even a bump the other leg had a small bump where a spur might be. The other bird had definite evidence of spurs on each leg. Once these two were released inside all hell broke loose with both species of pheasants fighting and squaring off with the partridges. However in every case the stand offs were started by these 2 partridges which had a real cocky attitude.
So partridges removed peace and quiet resumes.
The golden pheasant then started spreading the feathers from his neck around his face and the yellow skin pouches below the eyes looked larger and inflated so I figured he is preparing to breed. Right at this time I put in a pair of 4 month old yellow golden pheasants and imediately the red golden mature bird went nuts I thought the really young birds would not be a threat and he would ignore them but he didnt. As a result I have removed the young birds. Harmony has once again returned except that he is chasing his female.
Now then once mating is over will I be able to put back the young golden yellow pheasants?

If yes how long will it take for him to settle back to his quiet timid self?

I have read some say multiple pheasants can coexist and some say cannot. I originally wanted a large free roaming area and not individually caged birds so would be really worried to reduce their space.
Is there any chance that they could live peacefully together?

Will the partridges ever get along with the pheasants?

Sorry for the long lengthy message.

As I stated in a previous post, it is not recommended to run that many different species together in one enclosure.
The Golden male has claimed the entire enclosure as his territory, and as such will defend it against all comers! The same is true with the Ringnecked male....all male pheasants will regard the enclosure as 'theirs' and will defend it.

As I stated in a previous post, it is not recommended to run that many different species together in one enclosure.
The Golden male has claimed the entire enclosure as his territory, and as such will defend it against all comers! The same is true with the Ringnecked male....all male pheasants will regard the enclosure as 'theirs' and will defend it.
Hi and Good morning Sir, yes I have read this. The red golden and the reeves all seem to be friends no issues there. The Reeves and the ring neck are not friends. But the main trouble makers are the chukar partridges. It looks like I will have no choice but to build dividers in rhe aviary. Tha ks for your input is greatly appreciated.

Hi to all that read this.
I have read many forums and read many conflicting facts, so let me go through my story so far.
I recently built a large aviary measuring 12 meters x 4 meters x 3 meters high. My intention was to have several species of pheasants in the one long enclosure.
Originally I had a pair of red golden pheasants and a pair of ring neck.
For more than 1 month all seem to get along with no birds taking any notice of the other. Then I was given a pair of chukar partridge, well I was told was a pair. One bird was visibly larger than the other and one leg no evidence of a spur or even a bump the other leg had a small bump where a spur might be. The other bird had definite evidence of spurs on each leg. Once these two were released inside all hell broke loose with both species of pheasants fighting and squaring off with the partridges. However in every case the stand offs were started by these 2 partridges which had a real cocky attitude.
So partridges removed peace and quiet resumes.
The golden pheasant then started spreading the feathers from his neck around his face and the yellow skin pouches below the eyes looked larger and inflated so I figured he is preparing to breed. Right at this time I put in a pair of 4 month old yellow golden pheasants and imediately the red golden mature bird went nuts I thought the really young birds would not be a threat and he would ignore them but he didnt. As a result I have removed the young birds. Harmony has once again returned except that he is chasing his female.
Now then once mating is over will I be able to put back the young golden yellow pheasants?

If yes how long will it take for him to settle back to his quiet timid self?

I have read some say multiple pheasants can coexist and some say cannot. I originally wanted a large free roaming area and not individually caged birds so would be really worried to reduce their space.
Is there any chance that they could live peacefully together?

Will the partridges ever get along with the pheasants?

Sorry for the long lengthy message.
I don't know where this conflicting info is coming from but mutltiple pheasants species in an aviary is never a good idea unless you are a zoo. Then MAYBE you can keep bachelors.

I don't know where this conflicting info is coming from but mutltiple pheasants species in an aviary is never a good idea unless you are a zoo. Then MAYBE you can keep bachelors.
Hi ok I have read and seen here that some keepers are keeping 2 or 3 species together so I thought it can be done. I know a local guy has a large pen and has golden, reeves and Lady amherst together. They seem to get along, he tells me as long as he spends tine each day with the birds and hand feeds them they get along. The. I see other guys say totally no cannot. I currently have a breeding pair of red goldens and Reeves in my aviary. They feed together and roost together. Both are adult pairs the golden is currently mating his female and the reeves stays clear. I am not an expert and just seeking advice. All I had before this was the local guy tellingme no problem. I was given a pair of yellow golden pheasants 4 months old and a pair of adult ( supposed to be a pair) of chukar partridges. Then I see the issues, the chukar wants to fight with everything, the golden immediately gets angry with the young yellows so I can see I will have to separate them. My local guy told me because the birds were young 3 months old they are not a threat so would be ok however this is not the case.
I appreciate your inputs and you guys are much more knowledgable than I am. My original idea was to have a community aviary with some song birds and a couple of species of pheasants. My aviary is 12 meters long and 4 meters wide and I was hoping the space was enough.
Thanks again.

Hi ok I have read and seen here that some keepers are keeping 2 or 3 species together so I thought it can be done. I know a local guy has a large pen and has golden, reeves and Lady amherst together. They seem to get along, he tells me as long as he spends tine each day with the birds and hand feeds them they get along. The. I see other guys say totally no cannot. I currently have a breeding pair of red goldens and Reeves in my aviary. They feed together and roost together. Both are adult pairs the golden is currently mating his female and the reeves stays clear. I am not an expert and just seeking advice. All I had before this was the local guy tellingme no problem. I was given a pair of yellow golden pheasants 4 months old and a pair of adult ( supposed to be a pair) of chukar partridges. Then I see the issues, the chukar wants to fight with everything, the golden immediately gets angry with the young yellows so I can see I will have to separate them. My local guy told me because the birds were young 3 months old they are not a threat so would be ok however this is not the case.
I appreciate your inputs and you guys are much more knowledgable than I am. My original idea was to have a community aviary with some song birds and a couple of species of pheasants. My aviary is 12 meters long and 4 meters wide and I was hoping the space was enough.
Thanks again.
You currently only have enough space to hold two pheasants.

Your problem is not currently a species issue it is a spacing issue. Species issues will be able to evolve once the birds are comfortable.

It should be 20 square feet per bird. Then about 10 for a roost/nest/ect. So currently only one pair can comfortably breed.

Hi and thanks for this, currently my aviary is 432 sq feet is 12 meters x 4 meters or 36 feet x 12 feet and 9 feet high. So based on your example of 20 sg feet per bird plus 10 for roosting is something like 60sq feet per pair am I correct? Then my 432 sq feet should in theory be enough.
But if I am missing something then please feel free to correct me I am trying to learn.
Thanks for the reply.

Hi and thanks for this, currently my aviary is 432 sq feet is 12 meters x 4 meters or 36 feet x 12 feet and 9 feet high. So based on your example of 20 sg feet per bird plus 10 for roosting is something like 60sq feet per pair am I correct? Then my 432 sq feet should in theory be enough.
But if I am missing something then please feel free to correct me I am trying to learn.
Thanks for the reply.
The aviary has a number of small shelters around the periphery. Every day the 2 males will sit together at one end and the females at the other end. Just the ring necks I have the yellow golden and the partridge cannot get on with these 2.
I live in the mountains of malaysia so our weather is sunny but average temp daytime is 22 degrees C and night time around 17degrees C. Even not hot they like to shade themselves during the day

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 27
And yes I need more bushes and plants inside I am working on putting more cover and roosts.

The aviary has a number of small shelters around the periphery. Every day the 2 males will sit together at one end and the females at the other end. Just the ring necks I have the yellow golden and the partridge cannot get on with these 2.
I live in the mountains of malaysia so our weather is sunny but average temp daytime is 22 degrees C and night time around 17degrees C. Even not hot they like to shade themselves during the day
Neither the Reeves nor the Golden are pure.
The black flakes of feathers on the Reeves pheasant crest, means he isn't pure, if he was, it would be solid white. And the Golden is either a Dark Throated or has Amherst blood in him.

Back
Top Bottom