Need help!

Southshore

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Hello everyone! I hope you and your birds are doing well.

I registered to this forum because it is the only one with a pheasants forum. I am planning to keep Swinhoe’s pheasant and I want to read up on it as much as possible before getting a pair.

Unfortunately the resources on the internet provide very basic limited information about the species regarding diet, housing and breeding. If someone can kindly share some information regarding the diet, housing and breeding of this bird please, please do share. I have no other option but to get some responses on this forum. Thank you for taking out the time to go through my post. God bless!

They're not to difficult. Make sure your pen is predator oroof and feed them gamebird pellets or crumble. The book Introduction to Ornamental Pheasants is a good reference.

If your planing on building/ buying and enclosure as the one you have in the photo? I would add an apron around the entire enclosure to keep 'digging' predators out of the enclosure. If your going to keep chicks in that same pen, a pond and fountain would be a 'death trap' to the chicks, adult birds would probably be ok...other than being a mosquito breeding ground and provided you have the time for the maintenance of a pond, it's a nice feature but not necessary.
ETA- Also an attractant for raccoons.

I feed my Swinhoes, a custom milled complete and balanced crumble feed ration of 24% protein. Provide clean water and shade. A sheltered section should be provide for them to get out of the elements if they so desire! Like alot of other pheasants they tend to lay eggs wherever they want too! A pen that is landscaped, as the one in the photo, will provide plenty of areas for them to decide where they want to lay or set on a clutch if you let them, provided the hen goes broody! Otherwise, collecting the eggs and incubating them is the next best.
Some male Swinhoes can be pretty aggressive, so plenty of 'get away' places for the hens is recommended.
HTH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom