New Coop!

Thothgirl

Hatching
Oct 10, 2016
So as mentioned in my intro thread we had a surprise chicken happen at us and here is the coop we have built in stages up to current.

That handsome devil is the builder and my husband. Have a bit more to do and then move it into place.

Phew! It is all done and in place. The chicken REALLY isn't happy about being locked in though. I am hoping she will calm down about it in a few days. she only freaks out at dusk. I just raked and swept the back yard so all that is looking almost as shiny as the coop. Anyway Pretty Pictures of done coop.

Phew! It is all done and in place. The chicken REALLY isn't happy about being locked in though. I am hoping she will calm down about it in a few days. she only freaks out at dusk. I just raked and swept the back yard so all that is looking almost as shiny as the coop. Anyway Pretty Pictures of done coop.
Looks good!
She may be lonely, since chickens thrive with a flock, even of 3.
Also, will she/they get to free range a bit in the back yard? I'm always amazed how much my chickens like to poke around here and there, and roam.

Next Paycheck we are gonna get her some chicks to hang out with and mother. I was reading on the site to keep her locked in the coop for at least a week so that she knows where home is then I plan on letting her wander during the day. Or, we might construct a huge run for her and the chicks. Depends on what makes my sweet happier.

Next Paycheck we are gonna get her some chicks to hang out with and mother. I was reading on the site to keep her locked in the coop for at least a week so that she knows where home is then I plan on letting her wander during the day. Or, we might construct a huge run for her and the chicks. Depends on what makes my sweet happier.
Sounds good. Even 3 days in the coop full time should train her that that is where she should go to lay eggs and sleep at night, although 1 week won't hurt.

Be very careful introducing chicks. Some hens will kill chicks that are not theirs. They can hatch out their own or another chicken's eggs, but actual chicks can be a different situation.

You might introduce them through wire first, to familiarize them with each other. Then even after they are introduced, make sure the chicks can escape through a chick sized door to a safe area (dog crate, etc.). Some call this the 'panic room'.
Keep in mind your space limitations when getting your new chicks- don't get more than you have space for as adults.

A huge run is always appreciated!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom