guinea eggs

tim sommers

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2016
OK I KNOW I NEED TO LEARN A LOT. I SEE SOME POST WHERE GUINEAS LAY EGGS EVERY OTHER DAY AND I SEE OTHER POST THAT SAYS A MOM GUINEA IS ROOSTING ON 18 EGGS READY TO HATCH. HOW MANY EGGS DOES A GUINEA LAY AT ONE TIME? IF I HAVE A GUINEA LAY EGGS CAN I TAKE THEM AND PUT THEM IN AN INCUBATOR SO THEY WILL LIVE? HOW MANY NORMALLY LIVE IF I BUY AN INCUBATOR? IS THIS A HARD JOB TO HATCH LIVE GUINEAS WITH NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL.

Guineas will only lay one egg a day at the most. You can collect guinea eggs and incubate them in an incubator. You might want to read about incubating if have no experience. I didn't have very good succese when I had no experience.

Thanks. I know I need to learn more about all guineas. So when I am seeing a guinea roosting on 28 eggs are you saying that they are eggs from 28 or more days and the hen keeps laying in the same place? I read that you can collect eggs over a 14 day period and then incubate the eggs. I thought that a guinea could lay multiple eggs at one laying

Yes, if you find 28 eggs they were laid in 28 or more days. I have read that eggs should be collected for 7 days and then incubated but I have collected eggs for 14 days and incubated them and they hatched fine.

Pearl guinea if I do not decide to try incubator and let mom lay and hatch do most keets live. I would much rather have a dozen guineas running around and have new keets that maybe I could gather and put under a heat lamp for a few weeks.

I would say that you would get a good hatch rate letting the mother hatch the eggs but I've heard that guinea hens do not take care of their young very well so I would take them away from her after they hatch and put them under a heat lamp.

THANKS PEARL GUINEA. MY NEW KEETS ARE 1 WEEK OLD SO I AM HOPING THAT SOME WILL LAY EGGS IN SPRING AND THAT I CAN RESCUE THE NEW BORN KEETS AND PLACE UNDER A HEAT LAMP. I THINK FOR NOW PLAN A WILL WORK BETTER THAN ME TRYING THE INCUBATOR THING. NOW I JUST HAVE TO HOPE THE GUINEAS STAY AROUND TILL SPRING.

Back
Top Bottom