An abundance of guinea fowl

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
My original intention had been to get 10 guinea fowl. I found my first 4 , 2 male, 2 female, as healthy 5 months old. They are currently living in a coop with a run that is large enough for 10 guineas for the winter.
I followed up on another local ad. The elderly mother had passed away this summer. She was the poultry lover. Her original 4 guineas ended up with 26 more by the end of the summer. Her daughter, who doesn't live there, is doing her best. When I arrived, I learned the that original 4 are properly housed but the 26 young ones were in a small coop, no run, no windows. It was pretty chaotic in there. They were undersized but very active. Call me crazy but I bought them all including the little Call duck that was with them.
I already had the frame set for the large coop and run I had planned to move my 10 guineas to next summer. My wonderful neighbours are rallying around and we will have the coop and run ready for the new arrivals by Saturday morning. I realize the size is still far from ideal but a vast improvement from their current situation.
My plan is to get all the guineas healthy and then sell the majority in the spring.
I will have to learn proper names for the colour patterns. I have white ones, black speckled ones, and black speckled with white chests.
I would appreciate any advice on helping the undersized guineas. I plan to worm everyone as soon as possible. I have tried suggested treats with the first 4 but they don't seem interested. They are already learning that my whistle means to go into the coop.
The first 4 already make me laugh with their antics and voices. 30 might drive me insane in a happy way.

My original intention had been to get 10 guinea fowl. I found my first 4 , 2 male, 2 female, as healthy 5 months old. They are currently living in a coop with a run that is large enough for 10 guineas for the winter.
I followed up on another local ad. The elderly mother had passed away this summer. She was the poultry lover. Her original 4 guineas ended up with 26 more by the end of the summer. Her daughter, who doesn't live there, is doing her best. When I arrived, I learned the that original 4 are properly housed but the 26 young ones were in a small coop, no run, no windows. It was pretty chaotic in there. They were undersized but very active. Call me crazy but I bought them all including the little Call duck that was with them.
I already had the frame set for the large coop and run I had planned to move my 10 guineas to next summer. My wonderful neighbours are rallying around and we will have the coop and run ready for the new arrivals by Saturday morning. I realize the size is still far from ideal but a vast improvement from their current situation.
My plan is to get all the guineas healthy and then sell the majority in the spring.
I will have to learn proper names for the colour patterns. I have white ones, black speckled ones, and black speckled with white chests.
I would appreciate any advice on helping the undersized guineas. I plan to worm everyone as soon as possible. I have tried suggested treats with the first 4 but they don't seem interested. They are already learning that my whistle means to go into the coop.
The first 4 already make me laugh with their antics and voices. 30 might drive me insane in a happy way.
Good for you to rescue them. With that many around maybe start by getting some ear plugs! :D

I have them divided into two coops, each with a run. There are 15 in each which is a few more than ideal but still better than where they were. They are all active although some are undersized. Eating and drinking well. Lots of chatter.
I've done some reading on treats hoping to reward them for going into the coop. Thinking ahead to when the ones that stay are allowed to free range. I haven't found anything yet that they seem excited to discover. I'm wondering if they are just still too new to this environment. I've tried dried meal worms, fruit and vegetable pieces. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I have them divided into two coops, each with a run. There are 15 in each which is a few more than ideal but still better than where they were. They are all active although some are undersized. Eating and drinking well. Lots of chatter.
I've done some reading on treats hoping to reward them for going into the coop. Thinking ahead to when the ones that stay are allowed to free range. I haven't found anything yet that they seem excited to discover. I'm wondering if they are just still too new to this environment. I've tried dried meal worms, fruit and vegetable pieces. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
White millet is one of their favorites but guineas are peculiar in that if they aren't familiar with a new food, they can be very leery of it.

Mine became very fond of BOSS but as with all treats, too much of a good thing is bad. Mine became familiar with BOSS from finding it under the bird feeder.

Back
Top Bottom