Boiling eggs

chiky chik

Hatching
Nov 30, 2016
Hi everyone, my chickens have started laying eggs! Yay! I boiled 4 of them and when I tried to peel them most of the white part came off with the shell. I put some baking soda in the water like I do with store bought eggs but it didn't help. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

Hi everyone, my chickens have started laying eggs! Yay! I boiled 4 of them and when I tried to peel them most of the white part came off with the shell. I put some baking soda in the water like I do with store bought eggs but it didn't help. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

I steam fresh eggs and it helps make them easy to peel.

And
welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.
To get a proper welcoming, you should post an intro under the New Members Form:)

Last edited:
In my experience very fresh eggs don't boil well (same results as you). Let then sit for a few days to a week first before you try hard-boiling them. They can be refrigerated if you like. Not sure why this is so, but it works.

Last edited:
Steam them? Interesting! Hmmmm how long do you steam them for?

I use a rice/vegetable steamer set on 35 minutes. But started with Henrietta- an egg steamer that is a plastic chicken, she did not steam them consistently.

Some folks just use a pot of water with a metal colander or bamboo steamer over that on stove top - I don't know how long for those. But if you try searching for steaming eggs, likely you can find out how long.

And I don't put a hole in the eggs - they do fine without.

I agree with @FlyWheel, there's something about fresh eggs that make them hard to peel, especially from new layers. Something to do with the membrane being extra thick or something; I can't remember lol ;)

I store them at room temperature for what feels like forever until I get around to boiling a batch. All I do then is put them in a large pot with room temp water and bring it slowly to a boil. As soon as its a rolling boil, I pull it off the fire and cover it for 15 minutes. Then rinse off in cold water(ice helps). Works great :)

*here's an article you might find interesting :)
http://www.scienceofcooking.com/eggs/boiled_eggs.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom