Hard-boiling eggs

Air cells grow at room temperature, hardly at all in a fridge. Just sayin'.

^^^ is correct. I failed to account for differences in moisture transfer due to reduced temperatures (and the fact that most of the world doesn't "enjoy" 90% humidity +/- most of the time). Shelf eggs do lose moisture faster for most people - but you should not wash the bloom off those.

I admit error on this occasion.

The insta pot really makes good fresh hard boiled eggs -- 1 cup water, steel rack, 6-7 eggs and 7 minutes, natural release. I had tried every other method, baking them in a cupcake pan worked better than a lot of methods but I hate using my oven during the summer and the eggs all get a brown spot on the bottom.
Waiting for a week after you collect them helped a lot, also.
My kids make fun of my egg cooker collection. I actually blew up some "Eggies" and the "Egg Popper" shot hard boiled egg shrapnel all over the kitchen. I do have one counter top electric egg boiler that did okay but again, just laid/fresh picked ones could still be a mess.

UPDATE:
Eggs with bloom in fridge 6+ weeks old still don't peel.
Next step, wash the bloom off, keep in fridge for several weeks with the date on the egg with a sharpie, and retry. I doubt now that ANY amount of time in the fridge with unwashed eggs will result in a clean peel. I lost 50% of the white off of the egg I just peeled. A total waste.

UPDATE:
Eggs with bloom in fridge 6+ weeks old still don't peel.
Next step, wash the bloom off, keep in fridge for several weeks with the date on the egg with a sharpie, and retry. I doubt now that ANY amount of time in the fridge with unwashed eggs will result in a clean peel. I lost 50% of the white off of the egg I just peeled. A total waste.
I have learned to love egg salad :th

I use electric pressure cooker, 1.5 cups water, steel egg stands 14 eggs. It doesn't seem to matter cold or room temp or age of the egg. I still agree older eggs are better. Mine don't have a lot of white around the end of the yolk. The small end so can be difficult to have anything left on the end. Most of the time after pressure rise and 5 minute pressure cook. I use 10 - 11 minutes natural release. Put in cold water for 30 minutes.

I roll them gently on the counter, although some of them are already cracked in the pressure cooker. If you can get it to start to peel, put a teaspoon up under the shell and gently move it around to loosen the shell or between or under the membrane. The teaspoon saves it alot.

Attachments

• 20230521_190555.jpg
    20230521_190555.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230521_190612.jpg
    20230521_190612.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 5
We just started raising chickens so I haven't much experience with fresh eggs. I did some googling and this is what the USDA has to say.

"The fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel after hard cooking. That's because the air cell, found at the large end of the shell between the shell membranes, increases in size the longer the raw egg is stored. As the contents of the egg contracts and the air cell enlarges, the shell becomes easier to peel. For this reason, older eggs make better candidates for hard cooking."

For what it’s worth I have the best luck when I steam rather than boil.

And has been said already, older eggs are better, don’t wash/leave bloom on if you’re going to store at room temp, cold shock helps separate membrane from egg, crack shells and leave in cold water as they shock to further help separate.

For what it’s worth I have the best luck when I steam rather than boil.

And has been said already, older eggs are better, don’t wash/leave bloom on if you’re going to store at room temp, cold shock helps separate membrane from egg, crack shells and leave in cold water as they shock to further help separate.
WE have an egg cooker for making hard boiled eggs. I think it works by steam as well. I always put the cooked eggs in a pan in the sink, then fill with cold water and add a handful of ice for good measure. I usually let it sit for 10 minutes or so before peeling. I haven't tried it with our chickens eggs yet as most of our flock isn't laying yet. I am making a mental note to let some eggs age for 2 to 3 weeks before we try to hard boil them.

Last edited:
Twice I have made them in my Instant Pot:

1 cup water in the pot
10 eggs (Using the trivet!)

5 minutes high pressure. Wait 5 minutes and release the rest of the pressure. Lift out the trivet and put the eggs in a dish of cold water.

Both times, the eggs peel well. These are fresh off the counter, less than a week old eggs.

Twice I have made them in my Instant Pot:

1 cup water in the pot
10 eggs (Using the trivet!)

5 minutes high pressure. Wait 5 minutes and release the rest of the pressure. Lift out the trivet and put the eggs in a dish of cold water.

Both times, the eggs peel well. These are fresh off the counter, less than a week old eggs.
We have an instant pot so if I am unhappy with my egg cooker results, I will give your method a try.

Back
Top Bottom