This method for FRESHLY LAID hard boiled eggs works.

Toons

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 16, 2015
Central Maine
I just want to say that I did not come up with this on my own. Most steps has to be given credit to someone on Backyard Chickens forum. HOWEVER. Only one step was taken from each suggestion and then combined. That and I did a step or two of my own.

I post this because I have read so many people struggling with this as we have. We make a lot of potato salads for parties so we really were desperate to find a method that didn't leave us so frustrated working with freshly laid eggs. Fresh as in laid within a few hours to about 2-4 days old, all refrigerated.

The Method:

1.) Boil water in a sauce pan to a rolling boil (Set burner to Max/High). The sauce pan must be wide enough to cover the burner/element and also wide enough to make a single layer of eggs. You CANNOT stack the eggs or the results will vary.

2.) Place the eggs, one by one, in the sauce pan using a slotted spoon into the boiling water.

3.) Once all eggs are inserted, bring water to a rolling boil again.

4.) Once at a rolling boil, turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 15 minutes. NO SIMMERING.

5.) After 15 minutes, remove sauce pan from heat and run under cold water until the eggs can be cool enough to handle. They will be warm just not hot.

6.) Dump out enough water to fill the sauce pan with ice (Meaning enough water to still cover the eggs then top with ice). Crushed ice worked best for me but use what you got.

7.) Let sit for 5 minutes. Add ice if its near completely gone.

8.) Peel eggs after 5 minutes.

Ridiculously easy to peel perfect eggs, hatched that day. No green between the yolk and the white. Eggs are perfectly boiled for devilled eggs or whatever you would use them for.

You'll have to experiment if you want them softer boiled.

Hope it helps, any advice to add on appreciated! It's just the first time something worked SO exceedingly well. Wanted to share. God Bless!

Last edited:
I must have re-edited this about 10 times... Should have proof read it first. I think its comprehensive and legible now... LOL

Thank you @Toons ! I used a similar method and like you said, it works great.
My husband & step daughter like TikTok and both shared videos with me about tapping egg before boiling, cracking open for fried eggs…
It W O R K S ‼️ Unbelievable, yes, incredible, yes, amazing, yes yes & yes.
I don’t know how to share the videos. All of the videos I’ve seen say to use a spoon like it’s a magic wand. I’ve tried many utensils and anything works.

Wanted to add a variation and the results: They were done with about 1-3 day old eggs.

Placed eggs in room temperature water and brought to a boil and let sit for 15 minutes, covered. Then ran under cold water until the water temp was about in the 40s and then added ice. Waited for 5 minutes.

Results: Half the eggs were impossible to peel without removing a layer with shells. However the eggs we did later did seem to have better results and peeled like before.

We are guessing that its because they sat in the ice bath longer.

However, the slotted spoon and inserting into the boiled water then bringing back to a boil seems to be the best to have them cooked correctly.

Oh and the eggs all had green around the yolk showing signs of being overcooked.

Hope that helps! Will try the first method again and let you know. Only thing we will do different that I DID forget to mention the first time was that it was crushed ice. We plan on using 2 ice cube trays of ice next time. Which we did on this last method and kept well past the 5-10 minutes that we used it for.

Neat! Sadly I would have to buy three of them or use it three times for my salads. Also, the plastic melting issue they have is concerning. Thanks for sharing!
I am unaware of a plastic melting issue. I use mine all the time and it's not melted yet.

I've found eggs easier to peel if they are allowed to chill completely through, and then some. So yes, ICE is the magic ingredient. I've left them in the refrigerator overnight (or longer) before peeling, and they seem to be much, much easier. I think the chilling process causes the boiled egg to contract, pulling away from the shell a bit, and that's why it works.

Back
Top Bottom