Weird egg shell and soft shell egg in the aame day

momma chickie

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2016
My Americauna layed 2 eggs today, 1 weird shaped and 1 soft shell. I took pics of weird one. Was it because there were 2 eggs at the same time in the shell making area?

Last edited:
Sometimes a 'checked' or 'slab sided' egg shell is caused by another egg in, or close, to the shell gland......sometimes it is not.

Is this bird a new layer....ever laid one like this before?

Last edited:
She just started laying in August and has had this happen before...but it was soon after she started laying.

Young pullets do lay some funky eggs until the egg making factory works out the kinks. Make sure she's on a good quality diet and her eggs should improve. In my experience, though, hens who continue to lay funky eggs will eventually develop what some people call egg-laying peritonitis which is not good.

Young pullets do lay some funky eggs until the egg making factory works out the kinks. Make sure she's on a good quality diet and her eggs should improve. In my experience, though, hens who continue to lay funky eggs will eventually develop what some people call egg-laying peritonitis which is not good.
Yep....Diet related.....Can be prevented......

Cheers!

She just started laying in August and has had this happen before...but it was soon after she started laying.

Occasional slab sided eggs can also be caused by stress when the egg is in the shell gland.......
.....a scare from predator attack, or anything else that extremely startles the bird.

Consistent slab sided eggs can be caused by infection or a shell gland malfunction/malformation caused by disease, genetics, long term malnutrition.

Last edited:
Not diet, they get organic lay crumbles, organic lay scratch and peck snd organic yogurt and oatmeal along with table scraps and free roaming the yard all day...since it only happened twice, not close together I will chock it up to imaturity.

Not diet, they get organic lay crumbles, organic lay scratch and peck snd organic yogurt and oatmeal along with table scraps and free roaming the yard all day...since it only happened twice, not close together I will chock it up to imaturity.
Organic is not necessarily a superb diet........it really depends on total protein and essential vitamins/minerals/amino acids they consume.
Too many extraneous foods, other than a good balanced chicken feed,
can dilute the basic nutrition of the main feed leaving you with poor overall nutrition and health.

Back
Top Bottom