Weird egg shell and soft shell egg in the aame day

Not diet, they get organic lay crumbles, organic lay scratch and peck snd organic yogurt and oatmeal along with table scraps and free roaming the yard all day...since it only happened twice, not close together I will chock it up to imaturity.
Chickens have complex dietary needs.....Balanced nutrition will keep your birds healthy.....Chickens are not able to digest dairy products...The yogurt can go.....Oatmeal no real nutritional value in that for a Chicken...The oatmeal can go.....Table scraps....That can go.......

Age appropriate Feed is all they require along with grit and oyster shell...Fresh water at all times........5% daily, if that? is all Chickens should get in snacks....Meaning a Tablespoon per Bird....

I do not think you want to be one of the people starting a thread about either, sour crop. or egg bound hens.......

I am only trying to help you keep your Birds in top health........

Cheers!

I agree with aart.

Organic may be better for the birds but only if it is fed so that they get the proper levels of nutrients. If you are feeding too much scratch grains and low protein scraps with the lay crumbles, that will be diluting their overall daily protein and calcium intake. If you don't already put crushed oyster shell out for them to help themselves when they need it, that might improve shell quality and I would cut back on the scratch and treats.
Not knocking Organic feed but it doesn't necessarily make it better just because it is organic if you are feeding them the wrong proportions of it.

I noticed when one of my ladies was having issues with wonky egg laying she needed a calcium boost. Could it be that? Do you have oyster shells out for them to eat as the need/like? Maybe try that and adding a complete vitamin?

Back
Top Bottom