Sick Turkey

Ethlin

Hatching
Nov 15, 2016
I have a mixed batch of heritage turkeys (5, 4 of which are different breeds), about I think 6 months old now, and one seems to have gotten sick. I live in Maine so cold is sudden, I noticed the first cold day (It was like 42F the day before, then it was like 34F) she was kind of slow and sleepy, but I figured it was the cold since the chickens were also doing that. The next day she was like that again even though I put her in the coop to keep warm (All of the cold chickens perked up after warming up). She walks slow, and she wants to go to bed in the corner instead of on the roost (She is not making a nest in the corner). She is barely eating, although she is still drinking if I put the water in front of her. She pecks any other birds that come near her, so she appears to want to be left alone.

I am not sure if the sudden cold caused this, I thought maybe since she is a spanish black (Which are more southern) that might effect it, none of the others seem to have an issue (bronze, royal palm, burbon red x2). Does anyone know what the problem might be and/or how to fix it?

EDIT: She died a little bit ago :(

I kind of had a feeling she would pass since she went to bed in the corner of the room on the floor, instead of flying up to the roost like normal. At least it happened in her sleep, I found her in the sleeping posistion, I actually had to touch her to find out she died since it looked like she was sleeping otherwise.

EDIT 2: Still curious if anyone knows what caused it, for if this ever happens again.

Last edited:
If she was a chicken, I'd say that she was internal laying. I'm not positive if that can happen to turkeys, but it sounds exactly like whenever that happens to one of my girls
sad.png
So sorry you lost one of your flock!
sad.png
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom