Undiagnosed upper respiratory infection

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my old English game bantam hen was sick. She had a cough, was fluffed out and mildly lethargic, and had swollen eyes. She also had one eye that was crusted over with puss. This was during a particularly cold week, so I brought her inside for treatment.

She seemed to recover a bit once she was inside, but still had the previously mentioned symptoms. However, she has been willingly eating and drinking on her own, although she does sleep a lot. Her cough sounds kind of mucusy, like she's got a cold or something. But since I don't know the exact cause if her illness, I'm unsure about how to treat it.

I removed what looked like hard, yellow crust from the top of her eye and applied neosporin ointment. It looks a lot better since I did, but it's still swollen and mildly crusted over. She tends to keep both eyes closed, but will occasionally open the eye that isn't crusted over. I'm not sure what to do for her eye, or what kind if antibiotics, if any, to give her for her respiratory infection. What can I do to help her?

Have you smelled a bad odor from her face? Can you post a picture? It sounds like MG or possibly coryza. If there is pus around the eye from the sinus, that needs to be pressed out, and the ey flushed with saline or eye wash. Then use Terramycin eye ointment twice a day after flushing. MG is treated with Tylosin powder in the water, and coryza is better treated with sulfadimethoxine in the water.

Have you smelled a bad odor from her face? Can you post a picture? It sounds like MG or possibly coryza. If there is pus around the eye from the sinus, that needs to be pressed out, and the ey flushed with saline or eye wash. Then use Terramycin eye ointment twice a day after flushing. MG is treated with Tylosin powder in the water, and coryza is better treated with sulfadimethoxine in the water.
No bad odor. The yellow crusty stuff was on top of her eye, not inside of it. It's still a little crusty and swollen, but not nearly as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago.

The thing that I'm concerned about is her mucousy cough and lethargy. She's still eating and drinking on her own, but she spends a lot of time sleeping. It almost seems like she's got a really bad cold, or a mild flu. I was going to try giving her oral antibiotics to see if that helps, but I don't know which brand is good for respiratory infections.

Here are some pics of her.

Attachments

• 20231208_002738.jpg
    20231208_002738.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231208_002853.jpg
    20231208_002853.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom