Respiratory Infection?

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I think my flock may have a respiratory infection, or something along those lines. I have two 8yo hens who are showing the most symptoms. The one who is worse, has that crackling breathing, and "wet" sneezes and coughs. The other one just has the occasional "wet" sneeze and coughs that doesn't happen too often, from my observation.
I checked my whole flock and all of their eyes, faces, and nostrils are clear and normal. I was noticing some random sneezes though from some of them today.
What could this be and what do I do?

Hello! I think my flock may have a respiratory infection, or something along those lines. I have two 8yo hens who are showing the most symptoms. The one who is worse, has that crackling breathing, and "wet" sneezes and coughs. The other one just has the occasional "wet" sneeze and coughs that doesn't happen too often, from my observation.
I checked my whole flock and all of their eyes, faces, and nostrils are clear and normal. I was noticing some random sneezes though from some of them today.
What could this be and what do I do?
That all seems to point to a respiratory issue for the older two. I've treated my two rooster successfully with Tylan50. Not sure if you have any on hand?

With the symptoms you are seeing so far, it could be a virus, such as infectious bronchitis or others. Those can take several weeks to a month for symptoms to go away. Unless you see eye bubbles, eyelid/facial swelling, I would just watch them and make sure that all are drinking well and taking food. Since IB virus can make the whole flock carriers for around 5 months after the last chicken gets it, any chicks or new chickens will get it, so best to wait on adding any birds. If you should see any wrinkled egg shells, that can be a sign of IB virus. Hopefully, they will get over this soon. If you worry about secondary infections, Tylosin powder could be ordered to treat the water if any show other symptoms. Jedds.com and BirdPal Products both sell the 99% Tylosin.

With the symptoms you are seeing so far, it could be a virus, such as infectious bronchitis or others. Those can take several weeks to a month for symptoms to go away. Unless you see eye bubbles, eyelid/facial swelling, I would just watch them and make sure that all are drinking well and taking food. Since IB virus can make the whole flock carriers for around 5 months after the last chicken gets it, any chicks or new chickens will get it, so best to wait on adding any birds. If you should see any wrinkled egg shells, that can be a sign of IB virus. Hopefully, they will get over this soon. If you worry about secondary infections, Tylosin powder could be ordered to treat the water if any show other symptoms. Jedds.com and BirdPal Products both sell the 99% Tylosin.
Thank you! So if it's IB, that's only something they have for the 5 months then it goes away? It's not something permanent right? How many respiratory infections could they get that they have forever?
I think I will order the Tylosin.

Oh, one more thing, whatever they have would only the chickens get? Or does it spread to other poultry? I recently got into ducks and have some 1 month old and 2 week old ones.

Yes those are the places for Tylosin, but Jedds is sold out temporarily. The other place has it in stock. Your local vet could prescribe it as well if you happen to be seeing them soon. There are about 8 respiratory diseases that Zoologix can test for. IB virus is the most common. ILT is another virus, that is more severe, causes gaping and bloody secretions from the beak. There are a couple of other viruses. Others, such as MG, coryza, fowl cholera are bacterial, have more severe symptoms, and require antibiotics.

When my flock had presumed IB virus, there were several professional articles that said the survivors remain carriers for 5 months up to a year. Now, for some reason I cannot find that listed anywhere in the articles. There is a vaccine available. IB virus can always be complicated by secondary bacterial diseases.

In my flock many got it, and I separated the ones with symptoms. When they got a petter, the others got it. Then I hatched baby chicks in spring, and most of those got it. After I closed the flock for a year, no one else got it. IB virus is harder on young chicks, but most adult chickens tolerate it and recover. Reproductive problems and abnormal eggs were common later on.

Yes those are the places for Tylosin, but Jedds is sold out temporarily. The other place has it in stock. Your local vet could prescribe it as well if you happen to be seeing them soon. There are about 8 respiratory diseases that Zoologix can test for. IB virus is the most common. ILT is another virus, that is more severe, causes gaping and bloody secretions from the beak. There are a couple of other viruses. Others, such as MG, coryza, fowl cholera are bacterial, have more severe symptoms, and require antibiotics.

When my flock had presumed IB virus, there were several professional articles that said the survivors remain carriers for 5 months up to a year. Now, for some reason I cannot find that listed anywhere in the articles. There is a vaccine available. IB virus can always be complicated by secondary bacterial diseases.

In my flock many got it, and I separated the ones with symptoms. When they got a petter, the others got it. Then I hatched baby chicks in spring, and most of those got it. After I closed the flock for a year, no one else got it. IB virus is harder on young chicks, but most adult chickens tolerate it and recover. Reproductive problems and abnormal eggs were common later on.
Okay, thank you! So if I understand correctly, they will have this infection for however long it may be, then they become immune to it and they won't get it again and won't spread it? Am I understanding that right?

I ordered the Tylosin today, I hope it comes quickly.
My flock seems to be about the same. Could this infection cause lethargic behavior though?

If she has IB virus, they are carriers for 5 months or up to a year, and then no longer after that. I don’t think they become immune though, to getting it later. But since MG could be mild, it is hard to guess with testing. Lethargy could be possible with any illness, but I didn’t see that in mine. They were fairly young hens, and they just sneezed every few minutes with some mild congestion. I assumed that mine had IB since 100% became symptomatic eventually, and I did not see bubbles in eyes, swollen face or eyes, or more severe symptoms. I did see 1-2 wrinkled egg shells.

If one or two seem more sick, the Tylosin could help. It is always a plus to get tested to rule out MG, but it is not practical or available to everyone. Some states, such as KY, can try to get into your business if the state tests them.

If she has IB virus, they are carriers for 5 months or up to a year, and then no longer after that. I don’t think they become immune though, to getting it later. But since MG could be mild, it is hard to guess with testing. Lethargy could be possible with any illness, but I didn’t see that in mine. They were fairly young hens, and they just sneezed every few minutes with some mild congestion. I assumed that mine had IB since 100% became symptomatic eventually, and I did not see bubbles in eyes, swollen face or eyes, or more severe symptoms. I did see 1-2 wrinkled egg shells.

If one or two seem more sick, the Tylosin could help. It is always a plus to get tested to rule out MG, but it is not practical or available to everyone. Some states, such as KY, can try to get into your business if the state tests them.
Okay, thank you so much!

Just got the Tylosin today. So, when should I use it? If more seem sick? I mean, they all seem to be doing well. Even if I don't use it its good to have on hand and I'm glad to have it.

Back
Top Bottom