Newbie Here!

kjweirich

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2016
Green River, Wyoming
I've been raising chicks for years but have started getting annoyed by the quality of chicks from the large hatcheries. Literally my Cuckoo Maran and Dominque look exactly the same except their combs. Also the Maran egg is barely darker than the Australorp egg. So I've decided to start ordering from reputable breeder. I found a lady near me who is selling Crested Cream Legbar eggs for a good deal. So I want to try and hatch my own for once. I'm not planning on doing a large hatch right now but may do larger ones in the future?
Is it better to buy and incubator or DIY one? My husband and I are fairly handy so it wouldn't be hard to make one but does a store bought incubator help with hatch rate?
Also is there a thread for a newbie like me to read to get me started with incubating correctly?

Making a homemade incubator is one of the most common DIY projects. For most people, you are able to build a larger incubator for a lot less money. However, when making your own incubator, you will have to test the temperature and the humidity and change these variables over the course of a few days to make sure it works properly. I prefer buying an incubator, but from people who have made their own, the hatch rate is just as consistent. The only thing is that you will have to turn your eggs unless you buy an automatic turner (this is why I buy incubators). I recently saw a thread over a homemade incubator made out of plywood, and it worked great, but I can not find it now. If you were to buy an incubator, I would recommend any of the brinsea advance incubators, but if you choose to make your own, I would definitely recommend one made out of plywood.

I too agree that you can make your own incubator and have just as good hatch rates as with a bought incubator.
Please do check out this link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
It's a great read with lots of info on incubating and hatching. It also has a section/link to making your own incubator which I'm sure you will find helpful.

Good luck with your future incubating and hatching :fl

I've been raising chicks for years but have started getting annoyed by the quality of chicks from the large hatcheries. Literally my Cuckoo Maran and Dominque look exactly the same except their combs. Also the Maran egg is barely darker than the Australorp egg. So I've decided to start ordering from reputable breeder. I found a lady near me who is selling Crested Cream Legbar eggs for a good deal. So I want to try and hatch my own for once. I'm not planning on doing a large hatch right now but may do larger ones in the future?
Is it better to buy and incubator or DIY one? My husband and I are fairly handy so it wouldn't be hard to make one but does a store bought incubator help with hatch rate?
Also is there a thread for a newbie like me to read to get me started with incubating correctly?
If you and your hubby could wire a lamp if given instructions, you can build your own incubator. Check out the many fine DIY video tutorials by Rush Lane Poultry. I recommend that you use 2 light bulbs as your heat source. Also, you're going to need a fan, (computer fan with 12 V to AC converter, a thermostat (I recommend digital). Various bits and pieces and doo-dads: glass for window, silicone, light sockets, extension cord(s), cooler, duct tape, wire nuts, 1/4" screening. You can purchase a turner if so desired, and build your bator box to fit the turner, or you can design a semi automatic/manual turner. There are various ingenious designs available if you google search. You can also hand turn eggs individually, or incubate in cartons and tilt the cartons. Most important: trial your completed bator for a few days to find any warm or cool spots. Those can be remedied with more ventilation, blocking a hole or two, installing air baffles here and there, and finally, simply placing your eggs in the most optimum spots and rotating all eggs in/out of the cooler spots. Above all else, calibrate your thermometers and your hygrometer. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a bator if the thermometers are not accurate.

I recommend that you build your bator. you can build quality for a fraction of the cost of buying mediocre. Save your money for things that really matter!

Back
Top Bottom