Advice to not freeze baby chicks tomorrow when they go to the coop! Heat lamp height???

simple smiths

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Good day to all!

Having just gotten 3 baby chicks at Royal King 5days ago, and not having a clue to the details of this....

In the pictures below, how high off the floor should 2 125w heat lamps be???
Details:
This is a coop renovation we did today in a 150hen coop my wife's great grandparents even used, but has been a storage shed for 30years. The siding slats are pretty tight, barely finding any daylight in. The coop reno is 5'x7', raised floor, 2'wood sides to prevent draft.

Have pine bedding to go down tomorrow and warm before the chicks go in.

We are in east-central Ohio. temp today was 30 which is mostly average days in the winter, many nights in the teens, some in the single digits.

Help is greatly thanked and will be used.

* Yes we will cover up the rear vent and put some plastic up the outside netting (per granny the inspector shown in the pictures)*

I did buy a thermometer today and had it under a heat lamp at 3' and saw no change at 37degrees.
Then had it under the other heat lamp at 2' and saw a rise to 55degrees in 30minutes.

Both these measurements were with the large roller doors open so it was not all that accurate.

Think I will head out now, turn on the lamps and let them run al night like they will be running and see what temp I get on the floor come morning.

15-24" would be fine. The chicks will move away if they getting too hot. If you have a temperature gauge/probe, put it on the floor below the lamp and the temp should be around 95-100F. I notice you have a cat... be carefully or the chicks will be kill by the cat.

Here is a trick to test if the temperature correct. Bring it in the house and see the thermometer has the same temperature inside your home. If you have the BBQ thermometer, the boiling water method test will work fine. Do not put the whole BBQ thermometer in the boiling water, but just 1/2-1" tip end only. Hope this help.

Just went out and put the lamps on for a good overnight, but it is 38 right now so I'll have to figure out how to adjust if need be. Lamps are currently at 2.5feet to the floor and focused on the same spot.

Haha! The cats love these chicks and will sleep for weeks when they are gone in depression. They have no claws so no damage can be done thru the cage :)

Here is a trick to test if the temperature correct. Bring it in the house and see the thermometer has the same temperature inside your home. If you have the BBQ thermometer, the boiling water method test will work fine. Do not put the whole BBQ thermometer in the boiling water, but just 1/2-1" tip end only. Hope this help.
Another way is put it in ice water and it should be 32*

Gary

Just went out and put the lamps on for a good overnight, but it is 38 right now so I'll have to figure out how to adjust if need be. Lamps are currently at 2.5feet to the floor and focused on the same spot.

Haha! The cats love these chicks and will sleep for weeks when they are gone in depression. They have no claws so no damage can be done thru the cag

You may want to verify if the thermometer in degree C or F. The young chick would be comportable around 90-95F (32-35C).

We have a 100w heated waterer so not to freeze. We have two light cause what if one burns out at 11pm and we don't find out till 10am and it's in the teens..... scary thought....

Back
Top Bottom