A night of you know what (Raising baby chicks)

BrahmasMama02

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
For those of you who know, I've been struggling with brooder temps and pasty-butt. Someone suggested that I put my sicklier chicks in a separate brooder. Well, I needed a new bulb for my heater lamp (Other brooder has hot-plate) This way I wouldn't have to lift the plate every time I had to check on the specific chicks (noticed it would throw off temperature/ release heat).

We went down to Rural King to grab a bulb and what do you know they had more chicks. PARTRIDGE PLYMOUTH ROCKS. I was so excited. I talked to the lady working the chick center and she had said that they too have been experiencing pasty-butts the past few days but to their conclusion they decided that it was due to the stressful transit from IOWA!

She offered for me to take some replacement chicks home. I agreed and quickly snatched up 6 more chicks including two of the partridge rocks. (of course, I had to grab some extras just in case) And with the second brooder going I was going to be gold. Well, we got home and realized that a couple of these new chicks had pasty butt as well. In this fiasco my fiancé was cleaning out the first brooder, preparing the second brooder while I was cleaning a couple of our original chick's pasty butts in the bathroom.

All was said and done. We sat next to our brooders and admired the work we had accomplished. Then I realized......Where the heck was my second Partridge Plymouth Rock chick?

We tore the bedroom/ house apart and frantically searched for this little booger for two hours. Even went as far to check the trashcans. I haven't given up complete hope, but we have a theory. Well, while I was cleaning pasty butts, he had the new chicks (same age as the original chicks-because they were shipped in at same time and not sold yet) in their open transport carrier on the floor. He was looking for pasties with the door open. Well, we have three dogs. Y'all can guess the rest.

Well, that's our theory.... We feel TERRIBLE! Although there's no proof that one of our sweet doggies snatched up one of the poor unsuspecting nuggets, isn't it possible? THESE sweet and tired babies did not hop out and run away... Lessons were learned tonight. I'll let y'all know if little booger pops up, but I highly doubt it. SIDE-EYEING MY PUPPERS ALL DANG NIGHT!

All was said and done. We sat next to our brooders and admired the work we had accomplished. Then I realized......Where the heck was my second Partridge Plymouth Rock chick?

We tore the bedroom/ house apart and frantically searched for this little booger for two hours. Even went as far to check the trashcans.
Just to check: did you count all the other chicks? Is there really one chick missing?

I have sometimes "lost" a chick because it wasn't quite the color I thought I was looking for, so I have learned to count the total number as a double-check before I panic.

I haven't given up complete hope, but we have a theory. Well, while I was cleaning pasty butts, he had the new chicks (same age as the original chicks-because they were shipped in at same time and not sold yet) in their open transport carrier on the floor. He was looking for pasties with the door open. Well, we have three dogs. Y'all can guess the rest.

Well, that's our theory.... We feel TERRIBLE! Although there's no proof that one of our sweet doggies snatched up one of the poor unsuspecting nuggets, isn't it possible? THESE sweet and tired babies did not hop out and run away... Lessons were learned tonight. I'll let y'all know if little booger pops up, but I highly doubt it. SIDE-EYEING MY PUPPERS ALL DANG NIGHT!
Unfortunately, you might be right to blame the dogs :(

Just to check: did you count all the other chicks? Is there really one chick missing?

I have sometimes "lost" a chick because it wasn't quite the color I thought I was looking for, so I have learned to count the total number as a double-check before I panic.

Unfortunately, you might be right to blame the dogs :(
Yes. I am sure. We went through each individual chick. Was supposed to have 25 total in my brooder. Counted twice...24. (would pick them up and put them in box one by one). My fiancé and I almost got excited because he said "there she is :)" nope it was one of my four dark brahma chicks. (fuzzy legs).

Yes. I am sure. We went through each individual chick. Was supposed to have 25 total in my brooder. Counted twice...24. (would pick them up and put them in box one by one). My fiancé and I almost got excited because he said "there she is :)" nope it was one of my four dark brahma chicks. (fuzzy legs).
Yes, it sounds like you were thorough enough that you would have found the chick if it was there. That's disappointing :( (I wasn't really expecting you to find it that way, but I was still hoping...)

Yes, it sounds like you were thorough enough that you would have found the chick if it was there. That's disappointing :( (I wasn't really expecting you to find it that way, but I was still hoping...)
Every nook and cranny. In my mind I thought that she’d try to get warm in a crevice or something. For the past hour I have been rechecking spots and looking around brooder incase she’d get attracted to the light. (I darkened the room and looked with a flashlight ). Shes dark brown and could have easily got overlooked.

Was also wondering if a dog hadn’t eaten her, maybe she picked her up and carried her off somewhere and dropped her. So I searched other parts of the house.

Every nook and cranny. In my mind I thought that she’d try to get warm in a crevice or something. For the past hour I have been rechecking spots and looking around brooder incase she’d get attracted to the light. (I darkened the room and looked with a flashlight ). Shes dark brown and could have easily got overlooked.
Was also wondering if a dog hadn’t eaten her, maybe she picked her up and carried her off somewhere and dropped her. So I searched other parts of the house.
You have covered most of the things I can think of.

Have you also tried being very quiet and listening? Sometimes chicks will be very quiet while they are hiding, but sometimes they will make quiet little chirps that help you find them. (If it was peeping loudly, I assume you would have already found it.)

You have covered most of the things I can think of.

Have you also tried being very quiet and listening? Sometimes chicks will be very quiet while they are hiding, but sometimes they will make quiet little chirps that help you find them. (If it was peeping loudly, I assume you would have already found it.)
Yes we even went as far as to temporarily move the brooder into another room and lay on the floor and listen. To not mistake the others chirpies for gone girl. We just got in bed and heard our senior dog make a slight yawn - we both paused and were like “chick??” No it was her and her old lady self.

Back
Top Bottom