Chick death (4 days old)

I'm so sorry, I love Maran's feet's too :(..... Try to remember that you will have a hard time finding a post about pasty butt in cooler temps. Thermometers can be off and Pasty butt is often temps too high. I'd for sure not increase the temps and I'd give the others some nutri drench or save a chick. Mine start out in *75 with a heat pad at *85, day 1; heat pad *80 by day 3; outside temps with heat pad after that. No pasty butt...

sadly one of our Maran chicks passed away tonight :( We checked on them tonight after a day of being out and saw that one was acting emaciated. We gave her some sugar water and got her warm. Checked her bum and realized that she had pasty butt! (We had previously checked all of them ) We gently removed it with a warm towel and sat with her in a towel next to the fireplace. I could tell that she wasn’t going to make it. She died peacefully after some fight.

I checked the other chicks and all of their vents look clean. Their brooder is clean and is sitting at 85-90F.

What are y’all’s thoughts? Should we increase the temperature? They are on medicated chicken starter and drinking water mixed with hydro hen 3 in 1.

I know these things happen but I’m worried about my other chicks.

RIP Leslie
I’m very sorry to hear about your sweet chick. 😞 Leslie was adorable. ❤️

I’m very sorry to hear about your sweet chick. 😞 Leslie was adorable. ❤️
She was so cute and started off so strong. We gave her a name when we knew her life was coming to an end. This might seem immature and cheesy, but my fiancé and I buried her in a band-aid box in our side woods. I wrote her a little note and put it inside the box. It was my first chick death in a flock I'd claimed as my own you know.

Back
Top Bottom