size of coop door

Resi

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2016
hi, we are building a coop for our new ladies (yet to arrive) some lovely silkies. We are going to have an automatic coop door (timer operated). Now - would a 23cm opening be big enough for the 5 ladies and a rooster to use? if not what is the minimum opening?
thank you! R

hi, we are building a coop for our new ladies (yet to arrive) some lovely silkies. We are going to have an automatic coop door (timer operated). Now - would a 23cm opening be big enough for the 5 ladies and a rooster to use? if not what is the minimum opening?
thank you! R

My is 12" x 14" and have no trouble with rooster size. If you are going to buy an automatic door kit with frame, check the dimension. It would save you the trouble re-do the door later.

Are you building it as a square with height and width being 23cm? *i*personally would suggest a minimum of 12 inches (30 cm) square, especially if you may later decide to house large fowl breeds. Are you building your own timed device or using a prebuilt model? If the latter you would want to follow the size of the model you choose

Is it a coop built to "normal" building specs? Most sheds etc have studs 16 inches on center. I built mine that way and I just cut out the area between two studs and about the same height. That was the easiest thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom