Wobbly duckling?

Torntogether

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2017
Upstate, South Carolina
I just received an order from a hatchery last Friday, with 3 Cayuga ducklings, 4 bantam chicks (2 DOA), and 12 RIR packing peanuts....well now we are down to 2 ducklings & 6 RIR :(
Anyways, one of the ducklings died mysteriously during the night between day 2 & 3. One duckling is doing well, very active, curious, slightly flighty and just being a messy little baby. The other, (Who looks like a possible crested) has wobbly legs, seems in general uncoordinated and almost dizzy. He is affectionately nicknamed Tumbles and has gotten me too attached to him already, as I'm afraid he won't make it since everyone has been dropping like flies. (I think the post office left my order somewhere overnight actually before notifying me.) He still eats well and drinks great, just is a bit drunk walking all the time. He doesn't poop as much as his sibling however?
Is this a possible neurological issue (unfixable)?
Can he just grow and be wobbly but happy? Or should I expect him to not thrive?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Side note--At least 3 RIR were noticed to have a limp (a different one every day), but were incredibly active. Despite being coddled & separated....they perished. What is the cause? Nothing to stumble on, not crowded....could it have been shipping was excessively rough/stressful?

If he's crested it could quite well be an untreatable neurological issue :( Before we jump straight to that conclusion, though, you can try treating him for a nutrient deficiency, as they can cause the same types of symptoms. Get some Poultry Nutri Drench and add it to their water as directed on the bottle, and try giving the little wobbly guy a couple drops straight each day. If it is a nutrient deficiency, this will clear it up, but it may take some time to see improvement.

UPDATE: This morning I got the Nutri-drench...but noticed Tumbles is now gasping it looks like. He still eats and drinks (the latter not as much as usual) but constantly seems breathless :(

UPDATE: This morning I got the Nutri-drench...but noticed Tumbles is now gasping it looks like. He still eats and drinks (the latter not as much as usual) but constantly seems breathless :(
Have you tried putting a little Poultry Nutri drench just inside his bill never soot down the throat. It goes straight into the blood stream.If given straight into mouth.

I am so sorry for your losses. Have you contacted the hatchery? @Torntogether

Have you tried putting a little Poultry Nutri drench just inside his bill never soot down the throat. It goes straight into the blood stream.If given straight into mouth.

I am so sorry for your losses. Have you contacted the hatchery? @Torntogether
I have, and got credited back. It definitely has me wary of ever ordering by mail again. Although, I believe the post office that had them just kept them overnight instead of contacting me THAT day. I did put a little direct just in his mouth and he did lap it up without a fight at all. I will give another drop in a bit I suppose. He's still as lively as everyone else, just really struggling to do things...now he wobbles & has trouble breathing it seems. Its hard to not be attached to him already, he's so sweet and cute with his fluff on his head. I knew that there was a chance he won't make it due to his disadvantages already. I'm doing everything I can though for my baby!

I have, and got credited back. It definitely has me wary of ever ordering by mail again. Although, I believe the post office that had them just kept them overnight instead of contacting me THAT day. I did put a little direct just in his mouth and he did lap it up without a fight at all. I will give another drop in a bit I suppose. He's still as lively as everyone else, just really struggling to do things...now he wobbles & has trouble breathing it seems. Its hard to not be attached to him already, he's so sweet and cute with his fluff on his head. I knew that there was a chance he won't make it due to his disadvantages already. I'm doing everything I can though for my baby!
I made a promise to my self many years ago not to order through a hatchery just because of things like this.

But we can't give up on them and sounds like he has a good loving person to try and help. I'll go get you a few links from other who have had Crested and they made it. Just be careful the others don't trample him or start pecking at him and causing undo stress.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title
Just a few.

Last edited:
https://goo.gl/photos/47BgHNpS4pZLrbwn8

Here is a link to a video of his breathing. Just so you can see.
Bless, does he peep? what about nares good and clean? sometime they can get feed up in them. Best you can do if do what your doing making sure he can eat and drink with out any trouble and no one tramples or picks on him. And give him a bunch of love. Could be some form of genetic trouble caused by being crested but the crest doesn't look huge which is a plus.

Back
Top Bottom