Differences in colors of leghorn chickens?

Leigti

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 22, 2015
Walla Walla WA
My local store says that they have brown and silver leghorn chickens. They said that the brown and silver ones do not lay as many eggs and the eggs are smaller compared to the white leghorn chicken. Is this true? Are there any differences besides color in the different types of leghorns?

As far as production the hatchery white Leghorns have been bred specifically for egg production. Downside on most and other hybrid layers is they burn out within a couple yrs usually.
All Leghorns are known to be great layers. My brown Leghorns were great layers and their first pullet eggs were over a 100grams huge double yolkers for awhile.

As far as production the hatchery white Leghorns have been bred specifically for egg production. Downside on most and other hybrid layers is they burn out within a couple yrs usually.
All Leghorns are known to be great layers. My brown Leghorns were great layers and their first pullet eggs were over a 100grams huge double yolkers for awhile.

Yes, these would be hatchery birds. I keep my chickens their whole lives, don't provide winter light, I would rather have eggs for the long term then a bunch in the short term and then burn out. I also like a lot of different colored eggs and I don't have any white ones. I think I will take the plunge and get a leg horn. Probably a silver one.

Back
Top Bottom