Unable to see from house?

haunani

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2017
near Rockford, IL
Would you be comfortable with your coop/run not being visible from your house?

We're going to be converting an unused outbuilding and the space between it and the garage for the chickens. The only downside is since it's behind the detached garage, I won't be able to see from the house.

Over time, I should be able to expand the run to include a little more of the yard, which would make at least part of it visible, but I won't be able to do it right away.

I know for me and my own paranoia about my animals, that would give me something to worry about. I've set up my coop to be seen out of two different windows and a door, so I can look up and spot trouble when my girls move out of the brooder.

Out of sight is out of mind, but if it is in an area you will be passing through with some frequency, it will in all likelihood be just a-okay. :)

Mine is behind our detached garage and I can't see it from the house, which is okay but I wish I could. I would love to be able to glance out the window and see if everything is okay. 99%of the time it is, anyway, but I only know that if I walk back and check.

The positive side is that the coop is on the south side of the garage so it is protected from weather coming from the north, which is the direction the majority of our strong winds come from.

There are always trade-offs; and if it's the best site, use it. There are also 'game cams' and various 'nursery cams' available, for real time viewing and hearing, not expensive. Mary

Yep -- and I wouldn't really hesitate to have it be out of the line of sight nor do I think I, personally, would go so far as to go the camera/monitor route -- but if it is something that would make you feel more secure, OP, then go for it.

It is really nice being able to see them throughout the day (Who's in the nest box laying an egg? Who's singing that incredibly loud bawky egg song? What's making them all stare at the sky in a huddle?) but I don't know that I'd be too put out just to have to walk around the corner to check. I'd go with the site that works best for you, especially if you think in the future you might be able to adjust it to be more visible.

Our coop is not visible from our house, it's about 300' feet away. It's behind one of our barns. It was a shed we repurposed and added a run. It's a nice area, shaded in the summer and protected from the north winds.

The run is large, covered and secure so we don't worry much about their safety. It has worked out great.

I can see the coop and most of the run areas from the room I spend most my days in....I like it that way.
Always bugs me during the summer when some garden foliage and the shade cloths block a lot of that view.

^ this is similar to one reason I wish mine was visible from the house. I really like watching them, and I'll sit out with a folding chair in spring-fall. But when the weather is bad or is cold out I feel rather neglectful because I don't spend much time with them other than feeding and watering. Spending even just five or ten minutes in the day where I sit and watch lets me know early if anyone is acting different, sick, or injured.

It’s purely your decision, you are not going to get a consensus here. I used the end of an existing shed about 250’ from the house for my coop. It is totally screened from the house, which doesn’t bother me at all. From a drainage and expense perspective it was by far the best choice I had available at the time. They have lots of room. It’s a great area for chickens.

I can’t envision how you’d set up a coop so you could see who’s on which nest without a camera, but we have some clever people on this forum. I have the area set up so it’s pretty safe against predators so I don’t have to worry about that. During spring, summer, and fall I often work outside where I can hear them and somewhat see it, but I’m not always out there. It works for me.

There are always trade-offs. Only you know your goals and desires. If you are worried enough, get a camera or build somewhere else. Chickens should help with your stress levels, not add to them.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom