Comb, tail, and shank color genetics. Who is the father?

Chicken Flowers

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
The mother of this 2 month old cockerel is Cream Legbar, which has kind of off-white legs and a single comb.
I am trying to figure out who the father is, Silver Laced Wyandotte (yellow legs and rose comb) or Sumatra (slate legs and pea comb).
At the first sight, when he hatched and I saw yellow legs, I thought, it was SLW.
When he's got older, I started having doubts. His tail is really long as Sumatra's and his comb looks like pea comb as Sumatra's, only twisted (why is it twisted, by the way? CLB has a comb curved to the side. Is it a defect or a trait?)
I would appreciate if you could, also, elaborate about genetics.
Thank you!

Prince.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:You only mentioned the two roosters---is that all the roosters you have? Looks like he could have some dominecker or barred rock, etc in him. Is it possible this rooster had a mix of both roosters--one mating right after the other----I Never studied that. Are you sure your roosters and the cream legbar hen are not a mixed breed? Separate pens assured me of who was breeding who when I had 27 different breeds---a lot of pens but I knew what was happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the Sumatra.

the body shape is much more Sumatra than Wyandotte, you're right. That tail, the lightness overall, nothing says Wyandotte to me. Plus, the comb....

While pea combs are technically dominant, when I've mixed pea and straight combed birds I've gotten some funky mixed combs, so I'm not surprised to see that in your little guy. Especially with the big floppy comb from the Legbar momma.

I think it's the Sumatra.

the body shape is much more Sumatra than Wyandotte, you're right. That tail, the lightness overall, nothing says Wyandotte to me. Plus, the comb....

While pea combs are technically dominant, when I've mixed pea and straight combed birds I've gotten some funky mixed combs, so I'm not surprised to see that in your little guy. Especially with the big floppy comb from the Legbar momma.
We think it's Sumatra too, but why are the legs yellow?
Thank you!

I've read on here from a few folks about crossing a fibromelanotic male over a yellow or white skinned female, they say it gives you sex inked shank color in the offspring. Female chicks inherit the black skin, males inherit the yellow or white. That's a very simplified take on it, but that's the gist. I've not been in a position to try it myself, but actually have a breeding pen set up where I should be able to see for myself this summer. I have a gold Silkie cockerel over silver Delaware hens. The chicks should be sex linked for color (females gold, males silver), with the shank color as an additional feature. I'm interested to see if it carries over as I've been told it will.

Back
Top Bottom