Pre-fab run or build from scratch?

laircy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
California
I'm trying to figure out if it would be a better (cheaper, easier) option to buy a "chicken safe" that is around $1000-$1400 but comes with everything to assemble it, or to get these materials on my own. The thing is, it's a long term investment and I want to be able to assemble and dissemble it at 3 different locations: 1) my college, then 2) a friend's house who lives on 5 acres but doesn't have proper fencing for chickens, who I'm going to give the chickens to until I get 3) my own place. It has to be sturdy enough to last that long and be safe, but not so sturdy that it needs a permanent location. I have 20 chickens.

Hello ,
Cheaper to build , but are you sure about all that moving around ? Chickens don't do well with change .

Anyways , how about an A frame ? Easy to assemble and disassemble??

Maybe someone here has a slap down " IKEA like" coop idea.. we used an existing shed .

You're talking about a significant sized coop and run to accommodate 20 birds, when you start trying to put it up and take it down.

I'd be looking into the hoop house type option, depending on where you are in California. You aren't as likely as some other areas to need a winter coop. You could build a hoop house style enclosure that could stay at each location if you're willing to spend upwards of a grand on the construction.

That would be the first option i consider.

Back
Top Bottom