Coop designs (plan 6 to 8 chickens, lace cochin)

Rosekitten

Songster
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
Like the title says I'm looking to build a coop for 6 to 8 backyard chickens. My plan is to get lacr cochin so they'll be a bit bigger than average chickens.

Now long term.. I know we plan to move in 4 or more years so I was thinking of trying to make the coop able to be taken apart again down the road? I had watched a video of someone who moved a lot and they had built their coop and run in sections so they laid flat after removing a few screws.

Over all what do people suggest for cleaning? I was leaning towards deep litter method. I know I plan to have a walk I. Run at the very least. I may do the same for the coop but at worse I plan to have a giant door on the side for easy cleaning.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions or plans to build similar to what I'm thinking. I've been trying to sketch up plans but I'm not really sure what I'm doing and I want to ensure dimensions are correct.

Edit: has anyone used a coop from roost and root? They have a similar feed system to what I wanted but for the price I want to know what I'm getting heh. My lack of space to cut and tools are killing me.

Last edited:
You can build a nice coop without many tools. A screw gun, a stapler and a saw are all you need. You can get jig saws pretty cheap and that’s the only thing we had when we built our coop. It was built on the site where we wanted it, but everything was cut right in our driveway. If you purchase lumber at a big box store they’ll usually cut it for free so you could have them cut plywood for you.

Just removing a few screws to move it should be fairly simple. Build each wall and then screw them together. How bulletproof that might be is questionable so consider your predators.

As we don’t know what video you watched, perhaps the video has a parts list in the description.

A simple lean to design would work great for this. Taller in the front so you can walk in. The run is simple, four walls screwed together and then put on a cover.

has anyone used a coop from roost and root? They have a similar feed system to what I wanted but for the price I want to know what I'm getting heh. My lack of space to cut and tools are killing me.
Quality is fine and customer service was great at the time of purchase. They are quite pricey for what they are, and hold a few less chickens than they claim (like most prefabs). Assembly takes longer than what they quote, unless you're very good at assembling things. Taking the coop apart in 4 years may or may not be doable... I took mine apart after 2 years (and still use those pieces now some 8 years later) but there's some pieces that are simply stuck due to screwheads getting stripped or whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom