Size question - coop for small flock of Cochin

Rosekitten

Songster
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Rockingham, NC
So I have a rough idea on a blueprint I want to draw up. But I know cochin are a bit on the larger size.. so I wanted to make sure the nesting boxes and perching area was properly sized. I'm building it from the ground up as most coops I have found for sale locally seem a bit small for these larger birds (and my plan to get 6 to 8 of them.. it's cheaper to build it up myself).

Oh! I'm also planning a run as well, we have hawks in my area so 24-7 free roam isn't an option but I want them to be comfortable for when I'm not outside. Cause when I'm out there I want them to be able to roam the fenced yard and kick around to their hearts content.

So I have a rough idea on a blueprint I want to draw up. But I know cochin are a bit on the larger size.. so I wanted to make sure the nesting boxes and perching area was properly sized. I'm building it from the ground up as most coops I have found for sale locally seem a bit small for these larger birds (and my plan to get 6 to 8 of them.. it's cheaper to build it up myself).

Oh! I'm also planning a run as well, we have hawks in my area so 24-7 free roam isn't an option but I want them to be comfortable for when I'm not outside. Cause when I'm out there I want them to be able to roam the fenced yard and kick around to their hearts content.
Have you seen this group's coops here? This should give you some ideas. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

A good rule of thumb is 4 sq feet per bird in a coop and 10 sq feet per bird in a run, but I'd go a tish larger than that. Chicken math. 😊

Back
Top Bottom