help my usual good laying marans darling is eggbound :'( after some changes , what am I doing so wro

strangeanimal

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
Belgium
Hi all , ty for your concerns ,

My marans girly is frustrated like hell , she is constantly trying to get her egg out yet nothing , btw I used to work with a vet so I have been giving her baths but she gets more frustrated from me ' mothering ' her and so I gave her calcium and vitamine D plus some B ( from vets ) . Nothing , this is the second day , she is giving it up and is depressed .

Now first of all , I like to mention her old friend , a rooster was for sale and since I was going to breed her I bought him , but now the issue started ??? from the moment she saw him she became like I don't really know , she did all he was asking for I guess , he started crowing and she started wining because she HAD to lay it but I saw the stress on her at that time , so could this have caused it ??? I took him out of the pen and putted him in a place where she knows he is fine yet can't be the boss over here anymore so she was indeed a bit relieved . so she tried again but now there was this fight about a nestingbox due a newcomer a sussex , gave them another nest , bigger yet it seems not to be a good thing I have done now , had to take her inside the house at the moment because this is Belgium and the weather had some soft freezing in it I couldn't leave her like that either .

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?? the sussex started the same issue today as well :( ( don't know how she lays but I assume daily and nope no egg from her either , I'm very aware of the fact it might be me ... doing something terribly wrong despite my best intentions . what else can I do to make their circumstances better and what do you guys think really went wrong this time ?
Any help a lot appreciated !!!! I so love my sweet Marans Mara :'(

Why do you think you hen is egg bound? Is she ill? Not all hens lay daily, and many can quit for weeks or months. Is she eating, and drinking?

Why do you think you hen is egg bound? Is she ill? Not all hens lay daily, and many can quit for weeks or months. Is she eating, and drinking?
this one lays every day indeed , just one skip and that when is when the featherloss starts but there was no sign of that , found the reason and cure !
the new one is a small terrorist to other hens , she likes to peck on her for no reason , mara started to just put her head in the sand ! almost letterly , she kept crying and hiding in little corners where the new sussex constantly non stop pecked so badly even encouriging the other ones , she was alone against multiple sussex the poor girl , she has been able to lay it , such a relief , in a small coop I had before this one , she felt better too and fought back for once yet the others win , so now i don't know how to handle this , she 's too soft , really too soft , she just hides :s , my rooster is marans too yet he is also a softie lol :)
eggbound solved ! now the fight between that white vs copperblack .....
kind regards

Chickens will fight over territory with strange birds, sometimes to the death, so you shouldn't just add new birds without an introduction period with a fence between them.

Back
Top Bottom