Chick from TSC

racing chickens

Hatching
Mar 24, 2017
So first time chicken owner and first post. We got 6 chicks from tractor supply. Had to call back to ask which breed they were as we are new to this. Two were Rhode Island reds. Two were an Asian black breed and the two pale yellows they did not know what they were. All are growing healthy except one that I believe is a meat breed or rooster. Feather are coming in white and is twice the size as the other hens. It has a hard time walking due to its size and a large mass between its legs and tail. Feet and legs are also much larger than the other girls. Only two weeks old. Any ideas on what it is?

So first time chicken owner and first post. We got 6 chicks from tractor supply. Had to call back to ask which breed they were as we are new to this. Two were Rhode Island reds. Two were an Asian black breed and the two pale yellows they did not know what they were. All are growing healthy except one that I believe is a meat breed or rooster. Feather are coming in white and is twice the size as the other hens. It has a hard time walking due to its size and a large mass between its legs and tail. Feet and legs are also much larger than the other girls. Only two weeks old. Any ideas on what it is?

Chicks from TSC can be a guess a lot of times---LOL. But this might be a Cornish X?? If it is--its a meat chicken and will need to be put in the freezer by 8 weeks or so before it gets so big it can not walk.

Last edited:
Thank you. My first thought was this thing looks just like a Cornish hen. Now have to decide on if I can process it for food. I'm a grill/smoker guy and can cook anything. Just never actually done the harvesting of my meat.

Thank you. My first thought was this thing looks just like a Cornish hen. Now have to decide on if I can process it for food. I'm a grill/smoker guy and can cook anything. Just never actually done the harvesting of my meat.

It might not be a Cornish X but if it is---They do not usually do good as they get bigger and bigger. You will be able to tell. Might be one of several other breeds

I am almost 100% sure on Cornish cross, possibly cockerel due to the size of the comb, but it is still a little early to tell gender. Tractor Supply almost always has Cornish crosses for sale when I look at the chicks they have available. I agree with butchering it before it gets too old since it is in-humane to let them live too long sue to their size. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself maybe ask someone else if they could do it for you? Maybe feed it less if it is getting too big to walk, since this type is prone to over eating and might not stop on it's own. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom