Dead bird!!

brielin024

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2017
Why did we just find a bird who was perfectly fine all day dead in the coop?!
Not sure if it's a rooster or chicken as I'm new to this and it's about 7 months old so with that batch I can't tell some of them still. I've got 11 in there, the mom to these and another group from another mom slightly older. I'm sure I have 3 roosters in the older group but thus group I'm only sure of one that is. They don't fight but the roosters are often very rough when mating, could this be a hen that was injured this way? I've never seen this one mating so I was assuming it was a rooster but now I don't know. I'm just so sad! No signs of injury and he was in a nesting box just looking like he was asleep :(

Why did we just find a bird who was perfectly fine all day dead in the coop?!
Not sure if it's a rooster or chicken as I'm new to this and it's about 7 months old so with that batch I can't tell some of them still. I've got 11 in there, the mom to these and another group from another mom slightly older. I'm sure I have 3 roosters in the older group but thus group I'm only sure of one that is. They don't fight but the roosters are often very rough when mating, could this be a hen that was injured this way? I've never seen this one mating so I was assuming it was a rooster but now I don't know. I'm just so sad! No signs of injury and he was in a nesting box just looking like he was asleep
sad.png

I have had this to happen---seen it one time---hen was getting on the roost poles and fell and I guess she broke her neck----she died while I was watching. It does happen.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that happened to your chicken! Mine was in a bottom nesting box so couldn't see how it was a fall. I'm wondering if it was some congenital abnormality because it literally looked like he/she curled up and went to sleep. I've never seen this one in the nesting box before

I'm so stupid, I loved my little chick sophia so much that when she would peep peep in complaint, I would tuck her under my arm for warmth.
At 2 and a half weeks old she had my heart on a string! What happened next was tragic.... I fell asleep watching TV and with her snuggling close,
I woke 1 hour later to find her lifeless little body eyes closed,... This is hard for me even to confess, but I think I was responsible for her demize.
She was so full of life and love. I got her from a feed store, she was 1 day old at the time.

I am SO SORRY for being the possible cause of her death! Make no mistake she was a favorite in my flock!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom