Severed toe tip, unsure what to do

Plant_Hoarder

Chirping
May 2, 2022
Hello, so I am back because I had ANOTHER predator get at my chickens about 3 days ago :he The only ones in the crossfire were my two young brahma hens. One is now missing, and this one sustained only an injury to the toe. She somehow managed to sever the skin and muscle around the toe ( I'm assuming in an attempt to escape her attacker) and now the tip is dangling. It's connected by a stubborn tissue in the center of the toe, I'm assuming the tendon?? It's black along with the toe because of course it's has died. When I pulled on it my hen didn't have a reaction at all, and I don't want it to spread more than it already has. The affected toe is kinda swollen but other than that it's normal color. I've been treating it with alcohol and neosporin. Should I cut it, or leave it, or what?

Attachments

• Snapchat-638262255.jpg
    Snapchat-638262255.jpg
    952.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Snapchat-97958091.jpg
    Snapchat-97958091.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Snapchat-1053215027.jpg
    Snapchat-1053215027.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-469584872.jpg
    Snapchat-469584872.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 12
I'm not sure if this helps much but we had a hen get her foot caught in something unknown as I saw half of one of her toes was dangling. I thought I'd leave it alone as she wasn't seeming in pain and kept an eye on it for infection. It did not get infected and fell off of it's own accord. She walks fine with half a toe.

In your case, I'd leave what I could but if it's obviously dead, may as well remove it. The neosporin is a good idea. I'd soak her foot in Epsom salts too, then dry and apply that. It may take some time but it should either heal or die and you can make a judgement call if it dies.

I'd also give her some vitamin supplements like Poultry Cell to help her fight infection too.

She should be okay. Bless her for getting away from whatever it was!!

Where are you located? Did you have freezing temperatures last month where frostbite may have nipped her toes? I would leave it alone, and maybe coat with some Betadine. It will self amputate in time.

I'm not sure if this helps much but we had a hen get her foot caught in something unknown as I saw half of one of her toes was dangling. I thought I'd leave it alone as she wasn't seeming in pain and kept an eye on it for infection. It did not get infected and fell off of it's own accord. She walks fine with half a toe.

In your case, I'd leave what I could but if it's obviously dead, may as well remove it. The neosporin is a good idea. I'd soak her foot in Epsom salts too, then dry and apply that. It may take some time but it should either heal or die and you can make a judgement call if it dies.

I'd also give her some vitamin supplements like Poultry Cell to help her fight infection too.

She should be okay. Bless her for getting away from whatever it was!!
Thank you so much!! And I'm glad to hear your hen is doing fine :) I'll definitely follow your advice. Just incase I can't find poultry cell, would Nutridrench work in its stead?

Where are you located? Did you have freezing temperatures last month where frostbite may have nipped her toes? I would leave it alone, and maybe coat with some Betadine. It will self amputate in time.
I do have freezing temps, but I haven't had any recently. And thank you! I will try to get ahold of some and let the toe fall on its own time.

Thank you so much!! And I'm glad to hear your hen is doing fine :) I'll definitely follow your advice. Just incase I can't find poultry cell, would Nutridrench work in its stead?
They're pretty close to the same but Nutradrench is faster acting. Poultry Cell would be better for long-term vitamin supplementing. I thought Poultry Cell actually had a bit more in it but use what you have as that should help!

I think my vote cut the tendon taking toe off?
Use cornstarch to stop bleeding.
Use one or the other prefer no alcohol kills good and bad.

They're pretty close to the same but Nutradrench is faster acting. Poultry Cell would be better for long-term vitamin supplementing. I thought Poultry Cell actually had a bit more in it but use what you have as that should help!
Poultry Cell and Poultry NutriDrench are almost identical, and would be absorbed at the same rate because they are liquid. The main difference in the two are that Poultry Cell has riboflavin (vitamin B 2) which can help more with leg issues in chicks. PND lacks riboflavin.

Back
Top Bottom