Coop against the side of the house and pests

Heathfinn

In the Brooder
May 12, 2015
I'm interested in hearing from suburban chicken owners where the coop is right next to the house due to small yard size. If I get chickens (most likely no more than 3 of a small breed like bantam Cochins) I will have to have them right on the side of the house. I know it will have to be very secure as we live in the Los Angeles suburbs but very close to nature and many predators. My main concern is attracting these predators into the house itself as we often leave the patio doors open in summer for our small dog to go in and out. We could close the door but I'm still concerned about mice and rats. I'm curious if anyone has had serious issues inside the house due to the chickens attracting them.

I would be thinking about rats and mice. It would help to keep your feed in metal containers, and put it away at night so they aren't attracted to it. (I have tried keeping it in plastic - they will gnaw right through it.)

I assume you checked on the regulations in your area to see if there are any distance requirements. If there are, there may be minimum distances the coop can be from any residential building.

My coop is right outside my kitchen window. If you're attracting vermine or bugs (or have smells and flies), there's something you can be doing better. You should have none of those things.

Last edited:
How many chickens do you have, what type of bedding are you using and how often do you clean the coop? Thanks!

I would be thinking about rats and mice. It would help to keep your feed in metal containers, and put it away at night so they aren't attracted to it. (I have tried keeping it in plastic - they will gnaw right through it.)
Yes - use metal cans for feed storage, you can even get them with a "locking" handle to further guard against the very clever ones who might otherwise pry the lid loose. Removing open feeders or using "treadle" feeders is a good way to keep the feed from drawing in any grain seeking pests at night -- birds at roost don't need access to the feed as they don't eat in the roosting hours. Using feeders that minimize feed spillage/billing into the bedding is also helpful as the feed in the bedding can still draw in the pests.

I assume you checked on the regulations in your area to see if there are any distance requirements. If there are, there may be minimum distances the coop can be from any residential building.

My coop is right outside my kitchen window. If you're attracting vermine or bugs (or have smells and flies), there's something you can be doing better. You should have none of those things.

Important consideration indeed.
Agree regarding bugs/smell -- a well maintained coop and run should not cause either, if these occur just pop in here and we can help you brainstorm the fixes that might best fit your situation to eliminate the issue.

How many chickens do you have, what type of bedding are you using and how often do you clean the coop? Thanks!

I have 24 chickens in the coop outside the kitchen window. The bedding is sand and PDZ. The poop gets scooped (like a giant kitty litter box) every two or three days and dumped in the compost pile. The sand and PDZ makes it easy to scoop; it takes about 15 minutes. Folks that mentioned metal trash cans for the feed are spot on. I use metal cans to hold fresh feed and one to drop the feeders in when the chickens go in for the night. We are not now nor have we ever been innundated with rodents.

That's great feedback. I hadn't heard of PDZ. So this just goes inside the coop and not inside the run area? I suppose you could use sawdust or wood shavings in place of sand if you wanted to? I like the idea of the metal cans and I will research the feeders. All sounds encouraging for keeping the pests away. I only intend to have three hens so the job should be pretty easy compared to 24.
smile.png
Many thanks!

That's great feedback. I hadn't heard of PDZ. So this just goes inside the coop and not inside the run area? I suppose you could use sawdust or wood shavings in place of sand if you wanted to? I like the idea of the metal cans and I will research the feeders. All sounds encouraging for keeping the pests away. I only intend to have three hens so the job should be pretty easy compared to 24.
smile.png
Many thanks!

Sweet PDZ granules (not powder). You'll find it in with the horse products. I can't speak to shavings or sawdust since I only use sand (coarse construction sand or all-purpose sand, NOT play sand). I use it in the coop. Other folks use it in the run, too, but I can't speak to that. My 'run' is an acre of property.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom