Chicken Snakes (Texas Rat Snake)

Ronnie2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Palestine, Texas
A couple a weeks ago after church service, we were standing visiting with our friends Phil & Deborah who also raise chickens. Our friends were telling about their experiences with chicken snakes. Phil told me what he does, because they are so beneficial, he takes a 2-1/2-inch PVC pipe with a glued down top. He then drills a 1/4-inch hole in the middle of top, and threads a string down though the hole, and puts a noose on the end. He says that a chicken snake always has its head up. He slips the noose around his head, and pulls it up into the pipe. Then he goes on to say, that he puts the snake in a ventilated bucket, and carries it about five miles away from his home. He lets it loose in an overgrown pasture. Good Idea, I Iike beneficial snakes, but hate them in the spring getting into the nest boxes.
Our daughter has a picture of me pulling one out of a nest-box by its tail. I would first throw him down on the ground hard, to straighten out his body while still holding on to the tail. Then I immediately pick him up, and swirl him around my head a couple of time to keep it out straight, and then pop his head of like cracking a bullwhip. Those were my younger days.

Back
Top Bottom