Meet the Baby. Smaller than others, runt?

newkfarm

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2017
Indiana
Meet Baby, affectionately named by my nine year old. She's a rh red that came with some other reds and barred rocks that were given to us. She's always been slightly smaller than the others which I just figured meant she was a few days younger. She had a scab on the corner of her eye, assuming she was pecked, that we gently cleaned with a warm qtip a couple times a day for a few days. She became very tame and loves sitting in my hand or as you can see anywhere she finds to sit.
Now, my question is, she is growing, but at a slower rate than the others. She seems perfectly healthy, just small. Is there such thing as a runt among chicks? Is there something I can give her to help her catch up or will it just take time?

Well either she's just a smaller bird or there's something wrong in her initial development. Either way you can't fix it. Sometimes a chick doesn't make. It can be hard not to worry but there's really nothing you can do except provide the correct fresh ration and plenty of fresh clean water, and a clean brooder to give them the best chance possible. She is definitely cute.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom