Runt chick 'forages'

When I had chicks in the brooder indoors I scattered their chick feed around the brooder floor.
That means they are not all in one place so everyone gets some and they learn to scratch and search.
In my last lot of chicks I had one who did the scattering for me by flinging everything she could out of the feeder because she only liked food she found on the floor but recognized the feeder as containing food. Her routine was to shove food out of the feeder and then dig for it and eat it.
That's what i think I'll do. I'll spread food in areas on the ground too. Some waste now, but a healthy girl down the road is worth it. Plus others will practice more foraging skills. Thanks

Like Brooks said, get another feeder so she has an opportunity to eat, I had one of the really long feeders for chicks, everyone had a full crop.
That's the type I have and it will only have one side with chicks eating, so lots of stress free room. I'm going to start spreading feed on the brooder floor as another suggested. She'll benefit and others may practice sooner.

That's what i think I'll do. I'll spread food in areas on the ground too. Some waste now, but a healthy girl down the road is worth it. Plus others will practice more foraging skills. Thanks
Would love to hear how it goes. It may not be that much waste. If you stir it around from time to time they are quite adept at finding all those little crumbles!

Back
Top Bottom