fox or hawk attack?

jjoos99

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2015
Yellow Springs Ohio
Just looking for opinions as to if I had a hawk or fox attack yesterday? Here is the story. I went outside yesterday and saw a fox on the outside of my chicken run looking in at my girls. I chased it off, (saw it last year also) looked over my outside uncovered run. I alot of feathers in several areas on the run (50ftx100ft). I then found my silverlaced in near shock standing close to their coop. I found her to have several puncture wounds and scratches on her back near her neck. I thought it had to have been the fox but it doesnt add up that I saw it on the outside of the run. I have seen several red tail and coopers hawks in the area so I am thinking maybe it was a hawk attack and the fox showing up was just a coincidence. Just wondering what others think so I can try and figure out how to protect the girls?
thanks
Jeff

Just looking for opinions as to if I had a hawk or fox attack yesterday? Here is the story. I went outside yesterday and saw a fox on the outside of my chicken run looking in at my girls. I chased it off, (saw it last year also) looked over my outside uncovered run. I alot of feathers in several areas on the run (50ftx100ft). I then found my silverlaced in near shock standing close to their coop. I found her to have several puncture wounds and scratches on her back near her neck. I thought it had to have been the fox but it doesnt add up that I saw it on the outside of the run. I have seen several red tail and coopers hawks in the area so I am thinking maybe it was a hawk attack and the fox showing up was just a coincidence. Just wondering what others think so I can try and figure out how to protect the girls?
thanks
Jeff

Probably a hawk---I do not think the fox would have left it. Hawks attack the neck and head area---to kill---then work on eating it once its dead. Being the chicken is still alive---something had to scare the hawk away. Just for info----the fox needs to go and you need to finish covering the run----cheap deer netting can be used in some area's.

If your run isn't covered, I'd suspect the fox. Fox are expert climbers. A six foot fence is nothing for a fox to climb. You may want to look into adding electric wire around the run.

Picture of bird would be helpful. Most feather loss from hawk not realized until hawk has chicken down and under control with talons. Fox, especially when having trouble subduing a large chicken will cause feather loss all over the place.

Picture of bird would be helpful. Most feather loss from hawk not realized until hawk has chicken down and under control with talons. Fox, especially when having trouble subduing a large chicken will cause feather loss all over the place.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. The majority of feathers were concentrated into one of the corners as if she was herded there but there were quite a few feathers scattered through out the run. some looked as if it was a trail of feathers.
thanks
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom