Peachick won't fly

hbroadbentj

Hatching
Apr 17, 2017
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me at what age a peachick should be able to fly?

I've kept 3 peafowl (1 hen and 2 cocks) for the last 3 years and last year the Peahen had a chick! I've kept the hen and the chick in a roof netted enclosure within my chicken enclosure since hatching. There is plenty of room to fly within it and the mother often flies on top of the coup to sit on the roof. I saw the chick fly once onto to roof about a month after hatching.

Last week I began letting them both out to roam the garden freely and the chicks seems to have the inability to fly. If the mother flies up onto anything the chick will just stay where it was, even if the mother then wanders out of sight.

It did jump over a ditch a couple of days ago and flapped it's wings then but seems to have no interest in actually flying higher than a foot. Anything lower it just jumps

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)

I would assume the chick will start flying when it is fulling feathered... if it is already fully feathered I'm not really sure why, could just be stubborn lol or lazy

Peachicks can fly within a few days after hatching. Peafowl will roam on the ground for most of the day and fly up to perch randomly throughout the day and perch at night usually.
0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom