Fencing conundrum

ShortHenTallPen

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone, last year we sustained two devastating dog attacks. So this year we are looking at fencing our yard to protect our roughly 100 chicken during summer. The brand locally available is redbrand (http://www.redbrand.com) and I'm confused about which is best. Our primary purpose is to keep dogs out, but keeping chickens in is a bonus. In terms of cost/effectiveness ratio, we are currently thinking sheep and goat wire fence, which appears small and tall enough to keep dogs out and discourage most chickens. Remembering that our chickens have a lot of space (basically 1 acre) and don't roam super far. At night, the birds are safely locked up so this is a daytime device meant to discourage dogs and send them on their way

Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited:
Field fencing like that is available in different types. I think a 2x4 welded wire version would be the least expensive.
I don't think 4 ft. tall will be enough for dogs unless you run an electric wire around the top and one down lower on the outside. Or just get some semi-permanent electric poultry net.

Hi. I have had problems the canine species and ended up with an electric fencer bought cheap at a farm aiction and I used electric rope instead of wire becaise its easier to use. A couple of shocks deters them.

There are several choices, all with some issues. 4"x4" goat fencing is good, with electric on the top, and lower down to discourage digging. Electric rope or wire with multiple strands will work, as will electrified poultry netting. Electric needs to be on all the time, so extended power outages will be a problem without having a generator, and solar chargers don't give as many joules as electric. Also, snow cover messes up the lower lines of electric, as does plant growth. Probably your chickens won't be playing in the snow drifts anyway! Woven wire fencing at ground level will rot out sooner, so burying it to deter digging is a bad idea, that's what the lower electric is for. Goat fencing is the least expensive useful woven wire, and it will keep out dogs, and keep standard sized chickens inside. Usually. Mary

Back
Top Bottom