Quail Enclosure Attached to Chicken Coop?

Jhura

Chirping
May 14, 2023
Hello, we are planning on putting a quail addition to the front of our very large chicken coop. it will be 4 wide by 8 feet tall to be cautious with flushing, and probably have an outside door for access. The base will be built up on a frame equal to the coop, with a sand substrate added in. They will also have a significant roof overhang for protection from the elements and their own indoor enclosure as well.

My concern is, I’ve read that we shouldn’t keep chickens and quail close to each other because of chicken diseases? But then I read other people doing it and said they’re fine?

It’s definitely more convenient to attach it to the current chicken coop versus building a standalone right now, and we want to keep them in our big yard because it’s protected by electric and hardware cloth fencing.

Last year, we did have our share of a couple respiratory illnesses with my chicken flock, along with coccidia, all which were diagnosed by the state lab here in NC, and nothing serious was found. We do live in the woods next to a river with lots of wildlife traffic, so regardless they will be exposed to some degree.

I attached a picture of the chicken run, the addition would be attached to the right where you see the small cage with the gray bird in it.)

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8194.jpeg
    IMG_8194.jpeg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 33
I think you will be fine keeping the two flocks next to each other. I do know of One individual that keeps quail, and chickens. So far, have not heard of health concerns with her flocks.
I have considered keeping quail (just a few as pets) with my pet chickens... Had to scrap that idea,, because my large run enclosure is not totally secured on overhead. There are spots that my quail could/would escape.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

If you are in an area that gets really cold in winter, having the pens really far apart in the cold can be problematic. At the same time, if you have some kind of warming devices or lights to keep the chickens laying in winter... it will be hard to add that to the quayle if their pen is far away from it also. Gets easier if closer.

Back
Top Bottom