Moving litter of bunnies from inside to outside

Cdeep04

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Hello Bunny Friends

We brought out Rabbit inside right before she was do to give birth to ensure a better servival rate since this was only her second time with babies and she did not do so well the first time. We wanted to be able to help her out and the situation out. She has now since had her litter of bunnies and they are quickly out growing their indoor enclosure. We have the outdoor area almost ready for them inside a nice size run. Most of the area is now grass and their hutch is probably too steep for them to get up and into and back out of. I need ideas of what do to for a smaller box to keep them all warm that is closer to the ground until they get bigger. Also, its been getting down to the 40's and 50's at night, what temp should i wait for to move them out? How should I transition them? Also, how to transition to an area with grass where they are not used to being or being able to eat on all day. I don't want their tummies to hurt them.
Thanks

Hello Bunny Friends

We brought out Rabbit inside right before she was do to give birth to ensure a better servival rate since this was only her second time with babies and she did not do so well the first time. We wanted to be able to help her out and the situation out. She has now since had her litter of bunnies and they are quickly out growing their indoor enclosure. We have the outdoor area almost ready for them inside a nice size run. Most of the area is now grass and their hutch is probably too steep for them to get up and into and back out of. I need ideas of what do to for a smaller box to keep them all warm that is closer to the ground until they get bigger. Also, its been getting down to the 40's and 50's at night, what temp should i wait for to move them out? How should I transition them? Also, how to transition to an area with grass where they are not used to being or being able to eat on all day. I don't want their tummies to hurt them.
Thanks

Hi and congratulations on the litter! I also bring my does inside to kindle...better safe than sorry, IMO.

How old are the kits? Their age will also be a factor in when they can go outdoors. In the meantime, you can start preparing them to be on pasture by giving them cut grass and greens from the area where they'll be located outside; start with small amounts and gradually increase the amounts as they get older. I pasture my rabbits except for when they kindle, and the does and kits go back on pasture when the kits are weaned (usually 6-8 weeks old). My does are used to eating greens (with pellets to supplement) and they're fed hay and fresh greens while pregnant, as well as while nursing their kits. The kits start nibbling on the hay and greens being fed to their mother while they're still nursing, too, so by the time they're weaned, they can handle eating as much grass and other native greens as they desire.

Back
Top Bottom