How to separate young rabbit siblings?

Aug 19, 2020
Hello!
Requesting advice on a strange scenario. A friend of a friend was looking to sell their new litter of 4-month-old baby bunnies, and of course I couldn't resist. I bought two, both of which I was told were females. Well. Turns out one is most definitely a male, because at about 5 months old he impregnated his sister.
When I say I had no clue he was a he, or that she was pregnant, I mean no. clue. I went out to the hutch one day to find four dead baby bunnies in the little enclosed bedding area. 😰I'm guessing it was the cold because this happened on a 35-degree day.

So after that devastating experience, I know that I need to separate the two parents/siblings (ew) ASAP. I hate to take them apart, but I know constant pregnancy/birth/repeat isn't healthy for the mama, especially because of the rabbit's very short birth cycle/gestation period and high fertility. Unfortunately neutering/spaying them isn't an option as my vet told me that the minimum I'd be paying would be $600 (each). Yikes
But I'm not quite sure how to go about separating them- I don't want to cut off all connection, I want them to be able to see each other just to prevent loneliness and depression.

My hutch can't really be split in half, it's about 13 feet long but only 2.5ish feet deep. Half is a run area while the other half is almost completely enclosed.
I really don't want to buy a whole other hutch, does anyone have an idea of how I could somehow divide the space or easily add on? And any advice on how to separate them relatively stress-free would be amazing!!

Thanks to anyone who contributes and I'll try to post an update when I decide how to go about it! 🐇

Best way without buying a new cage would be to split it in half and enclose the end of the other side. And expect babies any time now since they were together. Odds are he bred with her again shortly after the first time. Rabbits have 2 uterus and as such can have 2 litters within a few days-week.

Best way without buying a new cage would be to split it in half and enclose the end of the other side. And expect babies any time now since they were together. Odds are he bred with her again shortly after the first time. Rabbits have 2 uterus and as such can have 2 litters within a few days-week.
That makes sense, I'd have to make a little window and probably a run area in the enclosed side for some ventilation and more space, but that wouldn't be too much work.
Yes, I've been watching her closely for enlarged nipples, pulling of fur, nesting, etc

And I knew rabbits could become pregnant within an hour after birth but I didn't know they had 2 uteruses! that's crazy.....
Thank you for your input and suggestion!

Well that explains something that has been a mystery to me for about 30 years, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom