How Old Are These Baby Rabbits And How Do I Take Care Of Them?

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello! I found two baby cottontail rabbits today in my backyard, and I’m thinking they are about three weeks old, but I’m not entirely sure. I’ve been researching how to take care of them, and what I’ve read has told me that they should be weaned by now, so they are no longer dependent on the mother. They can live on their own now, or so I’ve heard. They should eat things like vegetables, hay or grass, and pellets. Please tell me if this information is correct or if some is not true.

Would I be able to care for them, and would they survive? I assume it would be just like taking care of a baby pet rabbit, and obviously you can do that so I reasoned that it can be done with wild ones too…

A0D2C0C9-6AA7-46CA-A9A0-DFB2CB2426D3.jpeg A9DE0073-F774-41FA-BD76-77C10E3D7EE9.jpeg DAA2B207-F730-41D7-A67B-B27D45AEC1AD.jpeg

I would appreciate ANY AND ALL advice, tips, experiences, and information from ANYONE AND EVERYONE, so please don’t be afraid to tell me what you know or think! I need help with this so please don’t hold back, even if you’ve only ever had pet rabbits. I am especially concerned but also determined to help these ones and keep them alive because the last ones I found (about 6 years ago or so, maybe longer) were about a week old and they ended up dying because I didn’t know what I was doing :hit .

TIA for any answers and solutions!

Leave them be, they usually leave the nest at this age and are fully independent on their own.
Put them in an area with plenty of places to hide, near where you found them, so they have a good chance of escaping predators. If you have cats, keep them indoors.

Wild rabbits should not be kept as pets, most would die in captivity. Even professional wildlife rescues have a difficult time keeping younger kits alive.
Caring for wild rabbits is very different than caring for domestic rabbits. Next time you find some that are not yet weaned, or any abandoned or injured wildlife, call a wildlife rehab. They'd be in the best care there.

I know your intentions are good but I don't believe these baby rabbits need your help. They look old enough to get food for themselves at this point.
And if you were to try to keep them as pets, they're wild and not used to humans or eating man made food such as pellets. It would be very stressful for them and they would likely die of shock.

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you all! I decided you guys were probably right so I let the babies go near where I found them. I am sad to have to do that but I know it’s for the best and their own good. Fact is, I know that I would be even more sad and feel really guilty if I knew I was responsible for their deaths. Hopefully they will be able to survive out there and be much happier than in captivity. Thanks for all of your input!

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you all! I decided you guys were probably right so I let the babies go near where I found them. I am sad to have to do that but I know it’s for the best and their own good. Fact is, I know that I would be even more sad and feel really guilty if I knew I was responsible for their deaths. Hopefully they will be able to survive out there and be much happier than in captivity. Thanks for all of your input!
Good job!!

Back
Top Bottom