Taking in a possibly pregnant rabbit/What to expect??

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Edited to add: My workplace got the rabbits from customers.
The lead in the pet department at my workplace has two possibly pregnant rabbits that she needs to find homes for and I offered to take one(I only have enough space for one). I was told that one of them is friendlier than the other so I'll be taking that one.
My older brother use to breed rabbits so I can ask him a bit about taking care of a mother rabbit and babies but I'd like feedback from other rabbit owners here that have experience owning mother rabbits and babies.
I was told Rex mixes.

Any extra care?
What type of hay is best?

Basics for pregnant rabbits:
--she needs plenty of protein. That means either alfalfa-based pellets, or access to alfalfa hay, or both. It should be fine to offer other hay as well, and anything else you would normally feed a rabbit. Always keep water available.

--make sure she has a nestbox to give birth in. A wood box can be fine, or a metal or plastic one, or maybe even a cardboard one. Make sure the opening is somewhat raised, so she jumps up and in. That keeps bunnies from tumbling out. Provide plenty of hay or straw for nesting material, and add more if she eats it. If she uses the nestbox as a litter box, I would provide a second nestbox so she has a clean one too, rather than fighting her about it.

--keep her in a cage or pen by herself, with no other rabbits. Having other rabbits in a cage or pen next to her should be fine, but not in the pen with her while she is pregnant or giving birth or raising bunnies.

A doe is usually pregnant for about 31 days. If you do not know for sure whether she is pregnant, or when she got pregnant, I would treat her as if she might give birth at any time, until about 35 days have gone by. Either she should give birth by then, or you will know she was not actually pregnant anyway. So I would provide free-choice pellets and hay and water, and keep a nestbox in the cage at all times, cleaning or replacing it if needed.

If she turns out to not be pregnant, a month of free-feeding should not do her any major harm, and you can adjust her diet after that. A nestbox and a private cage will not hurt any rabbit, pregnant or not.

Oh, and do check to make sure the rabbit is female. If "she" is actually male, then of course he is not pregnant.

--she needs plenty of protein. That means either alfalfa-based pellets, or access to alfalfa hay, or both. It should be fine to offer other hay as well, and anything else you would normally feed a rabbit. Always keep water available.

--make sure she has a nestbox to give birth in. A wood box can be fine, or a metal or plastic one, or maybe even a cardboard one. Make sure the opening is somewhat raised, so she jumps up and in. That keeps bunnies from tumbling out. Provide plenty of hay or straw for nesting material, and add more if she eats it. If she uses the nestbox as a litter box, I would provide a second nestbox so she has a clean one too, rather than fighting her about it.

--keep her in a cage or pen by herself, with no other rabbits. Having other rabbits in a cage or pen next to her should be fine, but not in the pen with her while she is pregnant or giving birth or raising bunnies.

A doe is usually pregnant for about 31 days. If you do not know for sure whether she is pregnant, or when she got pregnant, I would treat her as if she might give birth at any time, until about 35 days have gone by. Either she should give birth by then, or you will know she was not actually pregnant anyway. So I would provide free-choice pellets and hay and water, and keep a nestbox in the cage at all times, cleaning or replacing it if needed.

If she turns out to not be pregnant, a month of free-feeding should not do her any major harm, and you can adjust her diet after that. A nestbox and a private cage will not hurt any rabbit, pregnant or not.

Oh, and do check to make sure the rabbit is female. If "she" is actually male, then of course he is not pregnant.
I assumed alfalfa would be best but I thought I should ask first before I make a mistake.
We have some old nest boxes from when my brother use to breed rabbits so I'll deep clean those before putting them in with her.
Luckily we currently have no other rabbits.
Bonnie(The lead at work) has rabbits of her own so she knew they were both females. She's just not sure if they had been bred or not. I was told they had been separated from the male they came with so she was thinking that they more than likely were bred.

Locally I can only find 1 alfalfa-based pellet in a 5lb bag. It's Oxbow brand and says young rabbit food on it. That should be good right?
I'm still searching though in case I find another.

Locally I can only find 1 alfalfa-based pellet in a 5lb bag. It's Oxbow brand and says young rabbit food on it. That should be good right?
I'm still searching though in case I find another.
Yes, I would expect that to be fine. Growing bunnies, pregnant does, and nursing does have similar nutritional needs. You could check the label-- it might even mention pregnant or nursing rabbits too.

I don't know how fast she will eat the pellets, so I don't know what size bag would be good. When I had rabbits, I bought 50 pound bags, but I always had multiple rabbits eating it. Definitely check prices-- sometimes the small bags cost so much that you can save money by getting a big bag even if you throw part of it out!

Yes, I would expect that to be fine. Growing bunnies, pregnant does, and nursing does have similar nutritional needs. You could check the label-- it might even mention pregnant or nursing rabbits too.

I don't know how fast she will eat the pellets, so I don't know what size bag would be good. When I had rabbits, I bought 50 pound bags, but I always had multiple rabbits eating it. Definitely check prices-- sometimes the small bags cost so much that you can save money by getting a big bag even if you throw part of it out!
I just got her settled into her hutch. She's a broken black Rex mix.
I was told that she should have another week or so left before we know if she actually is pregnant.
She was getting weighed for a few weeks and kept gaining weight.
If she does have babies, I plan on selling them as meat rabbits due to the fact that her brother is the male the females came with.
I will get photos of her tomorrow after she's completely settled into her new home.

I just got her settled into her hutch. She's a broken black Rex mix.
I was told that she should have another week or so left before we know if she actually is pregnant.
She was getting weighed for a few weeks and kept gaining weight.
If she does have babies, I plan on selling them as meat rabbits due to the fact that her brother is the male the females came with.
I will get photos of her tomorrow after she's completely settled into her new home.
Sibling bred to siblings will not create obvious genetic disorders until bred down for a few more generations. I am sure you could sell them as pets, you would just want to handle them frequently so that they make good pets. After 10 weeks, sell the rest as meat. You'll make something if you sell them as pets. Meat- only per pound and Rex are tiny in the meat market.

Sibling bred to siblings will not create obvious genetic disorders until bred down for a few more generations. I am sure you could sell them as pets, you would just want to handle them frequently so that they make good pets. After 10 weeks, sell the rest as meat. You'll make something if you sell them as pets. Meat- only per pound and Rex are tiny in the meat market.
I don't support sibling breedings in any animals

Back
Top Bottom