Should I put my dog down?

A relative has a 14 year old mix dog that she rescued.
She has dog dementia and incontinence, they prescribed a medicine to help her incontinence.

Unfortunately thr dementia they cant do anything about but she barks from 12pm to 8pm every day. But is healthy otherwise

For the diaperd make a suspender, they also have ones you can buy,
Belly bands may work as well.

Is this the kind of "diaper" you are talking about? I have belly bands for my male, reactive dog when he has occasional periods of anxiety, and "piddling". I also keep a small belly band here for my sister's dog, when he comes to visit and wants to mark everything in my house. They Velcro around the waist, and cover the penis. If they pee, they wet the belly band. They are washable. You can buy small baby diapers to line the inside of the belly band so that you don't have to wash as frequently.
View attachment 3775987
That’s what we’ve found work best but my dog loves rubbing himself of the couch and the Velcro sticks to it and pulls it right off😂

Is he drinking a lot of water? You might have him checked for diabetes.

I like the idea of the feminine napkins instead of baby diapers in the belly band. They have an adhesive strip. I just used baby diapers because I have diapers in the house for my grandson

Also - I'd keep his hair short below his waist to help with the dampness and odor.
We’ve given him a hair cut since the photo I put on here it’s just one of few I actually have😂 and we’ve taken him to the vet and they say he’s healthy.

I know this is app is mainly for chicken and flock information but I don’t know where else to ask this question. My 13year old Maltese Sammy is old and his muscles that used to allow him to hold in his bladder don’t work at all. This means he needs to wear diapers while inside the house. The issue is the diapers don’t stay on well. I’ve tried taping them on but they don’t seem to ever stay on. He is constantly peeing in bedrooms and on carpet while I am stuck cleaning it up. It makes the house smell when I don’t find it fast enough and I don’t like living in a smelly house. He has lots of energy still though and that’s where it gets me. He still plays and runs around still.(to an extent. He’s not a huge fan of playing) He doesn’t seem to be suffering at all but it’s hard to keep up with all the pee. Any ideas?? Should I put him down just because he can’t go potty outside ever?? What would be the most logical solution? I’d love to hear all your thoughts!!
if your dog is still running around and enjoying life, I would not.

I’ve asked the vet and they said it is purely cause of his age.
Did you ask the vet about possibly giving Proin a try? It's more often given to female dogs as they're more prone to incontinence but I've had a male dog on it with noticeable benefit. He was completely emptying his bladder all over himself before but it got it down to just occasional trickling, which I could live with.

Did you ask the vet about possibly giving Proin a try? It's more often given to female dogs as they're more prone to incontinence but I've had a male dog on it with noticeable benefit. He was completely emptying his bladder all over himself before but it got it down to just occasional trickling, which I could live with.
That’s a good idea!! I’ll ask about it!

Back
Top Bottom