Should I get a second opinion on my horse’s sensitivity?

Pics

MinervaTheHen

Chirping
Sep 30, 2022
Hello everyone! I wasn’t quite sure how to phrase the title, so if it’s confusing forgive me.
So, a little over a year ago I bought a crossbred gelding at a large scale sale barn in Connecticut. No known history, other than suspected neglect at one point in his life. He is mid-late teens. When I got him home he had poor nutrition (even though he has a rather large hay belly!) poor hoof care, and weak back and hind end muscling.
After a month of pasture rest to let his hooves recover and let him settle, myself and a trainer started working him and discovered he was green broke at best.
A few months into working him, his trainer and I noticed some strange behavior, such as flinching away from touch, tensing up around people, (he’s very affectionate and LOVES people, so this kinda contradicts his personality) refusing to move forward under saddle, and rearing. We didn’t want to assume behavior problems and it seemed like it was coming from something physical, so we tested for Lyme disease. Unsurprisingly, it came back positive.
Because of his apparent sensitivity, he was out of work for several months while he was treated. After this I also had him seen by an equine chiropractor, message therapist, and dentist. They all gave him a clean bill of health.
Over the fall and winter he seemed better under saddle (no rearing, limited bucking) but the sensitivity to touch never quite went away. The reading and bucking has since returned, although not nearly as bad as when he had Lyme. He doesn’t try to throw the rider, just protests whatever is being asked if him.
The sensitivity is especially prominent on his right side, most noticeably his neck and poll. He also has a very difficult time cantering. I have him do stretches, lungeing, and long warm ups before each ride, which seem to marginally help.
The local vet has looked at him several times, and she sees the problems but doesn’t really know what to think. She does not believe it to be related to the previous Lyme. She thought maybe his poor canter could be more mental than anything, perhaps left over from a previous career as driving horse. She was concerned by the combined symptoms, but didn’t have an answer. Unfortunately in the small rural vet clinic she works for, they don’t have access to many of the tests and equipment of larger practices.
I’m getting concerned now, because he really does seem uncomfortable. I would hate to be working and training a horse who is in pain. There is an esteemed vet clinic several hours from my barn, with a good history of diagnosing weird symptoms such as this. Several of my friends and family members have brought their horses there and had great success, so now I’m wondering if I should give it a try.
What do the horse people of backyardchickens think? Worth it or not? Thanks!
(I am attempting to add photos, may or may not work! If I figure out how to blur the faces, I will post a video of him being worked.)

Attachments

• 172F66EC-51B2-4270-8863-02942CC358F6.jpeg
    172F66EC-51B2-4270-8863-02942CC358F6.jpeg
    895.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 5592701A-A7C5-40EF-B299-C7FAB70FA393.jpeg
    5592701A-A7C5-40EF-B299-C7FAB70FA393.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 90CB706B-38E6-4F12-82C8-2DC9CD161194.jpeg
    90CB706B-38E6-4F12-82C8-2DC9CD161194.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Have you checked for ulcers..any horse that has been neglected runs a fairly high risk of ulcers..it frequently makes horses sensitive to touch in the back and abdomen.

I have 12 personal horses and directly responsible for another 20 ( overseeing traingong of youngsters and rehab of older racehorses as well as i deal with anything sick or injured at the trainers farm( ponyhorses, weanlings, yealings, stallions and broodmares)

You have done the initial things we look at ( not lymes very rare here) ive had warmbloods, tbs,arabs, draft crosses, qhs and even a welsh cob pony scoped and diagnosed with ulcers

Nicole

Hello everyone! I wasn’t quite sure how to phrase the title, so if it’s confusing forgive me.
So, a little over a year ago I bought a crossbred gelding at a large scale sale barn in Connecticut. No known history, other than suspected neglect at one point in his life. He is mid-late teens. When I got him home he had poor nutrition (even though he has a rather large hay belly!) poor hoof care, and weak back and hind end muscling.
After a month of pasture rest to let his hooves recover and let him settle, myself and a trainer started working him and discovered he was green broke at best.
A few months into working him, his trainer and I noticed some strange behavior, such as flinching away from touch, tensing up around people, (he’s very affectionate and LOVES people, so this kinda contradicts his personality) refusing to move forward under saddle, and rearing. We didn’t want to assume behavior problems and it seemed like it was coming from something physical, so we tested for Lyme disease. Unsurprisingly, it came back positive.
Because of his apparent sensitivity, he was out of work for several months while he was treated. After this I also had him seen by an equine chiropractor, message therapist, and dentist. They all gave him a clean bill of health.
Over the fall and winter he seemed better under saddle (no rearing, limited bucking) but the sensitivity to touch never quite went away. The reading and bucking has since returned, although not nearly as bad as when he had Lyme. He doesn’t try to throw the rider, just protests whatever is being asked if him.
The sensitivity is especially prominent on his right side, most noticeably his neck and poll. He also has a very difficult time cantering. I have him do stretches, lungeing, and long warm ups before each ride, which seem to marginally help.
The local vet has looked at him several times, and she sees the problems but doesn’t really know what to think. She does not believe it to be related to the previous Lyme. She thought maybe his poor canter could be more mental than anything, perhaps left over from a previous career as driving horse. She was concerned by the combined symptoms, but didn’t have an answer. Unfortunately in the small rural vet clinic she works for, they don’t have access to many of the tests and equipment of larger practices.
I’m getting concerned now, because he really does seem uncomfortable. I would hate to be working and training a horse who is in pain. There is an esteemed vet clinic several hours from my barn, with a good history of diagnosing weird symptoms such as this. Several of my friends and family members have brought their horses there and had great success, so now I’m wondering if I should give it a try.
What do the horse people of backyardchickens think? Worth it or not? Thanks!
(I am attempting to add photos, may or may not work! If I figure out how to blur the faces, I will post a video of him being worked.)
I was also going to suggest checking for ulcers as well. To me, I think it would be worth taking him to a performance horse vet or a vet that specializes in lameness issues and does in depth lameness exams. It could be an array of things. Kissing spine, EPM, ulcers, ect.

I would find a good vet and get the works. Lameness exam, bloodwork pulled, x rays if needed. At least if you confidently rule everything out pain wise, you know it is a possible attitude/behavioral issue that can be addressed.

Have you checked for ulcers..any horse that has been neglected runs a fairly high risk of ulcers..it frequently makes horses sensitive to touch in the back and abdomen.

I have 12 personal horses and directly responsible for another 20 ( overseeing traingong of youngsters and rehab of older racehorses as well as i deal with anything sick or injured at the trainers farm( ponyhorses, weanlings, yealings, stallions and broodmares)

You have done the initial things we look at ( not lymes very rare here) ive had warmbloods, tbs,arabs, draft crosses, qhs and even a welsh cob pony scoped and diagnosed with ulcers

Nicole
Wow, 32 horses! I think I’d lose my mind! The local vet unfortunately can’t officially diagnose ulcers due to the lacking equipment and space, but she did put him on omeprazole early on in his symptoms. However, I’ve been told that omeprazole doesn’t always work on ulcers if the horse had had them a long time or if it’s in the hind gut. I don’t know how true that is though.
Anyway, thanks for the input! You sound like you’ve seen it all! I really like this horse and I’m hoping I do right by him and get him happy, so I really appreciate the help!

I was also going to suggest checking for ulcers as well. To me, I think it would be worth taking him to a performance horse vet or a vet that specializes in lameness issues and does in depth lameness exams. It could be an array of things. Kissing spine, EPM, ulcers, ect.

I would find a good vet and get the works. Lameness exam, bloodwork pulled, x rays if needed. At least if you confidently rule everything out pain wise, you know it is a possible attitude/behavioral issue that can be addressed.
Yeah, I would definitely feel better if I knew everything was okay with him. I don’t feel super comfortable correcting the behavior and working him through it right now, because I’m always afraid he’s just trying to tell me something is going on.
Attitude problems would be much appreciated right now, I think!
Thanks!

I agree i think a specialty vet either a university vetschool or a major equine clinic would absolutely be the way. I amfortunate that i have access to twomajorclinics for sporthorses and forget not everuone has access tothe same
Yes, that’s very lucky! I live in a very rural area, and unfortunately that means substandard care for both people and pets. I love my local veterinarian and she tries her best, but there’s only so much she can do with what she has.
Thanks for your input!

I also agree with it may be ulcers, and I think taking it to the other vet would be a good idea. I wonder if it may even be learned pain from his past
That was something that was discussed a few times, especially because in the first few months he did seem to have certain triggers. Really makes me wonder about all those poor animals out there without anyone looking out for them.
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate all these answers.

Thank you all for your answers! I think, with everything that has been said, I am going to go ahead with the second opinion and full work up. I really appreciate this community and all its knowledgeable members! When/if I get some answers, I will definitely post again.
(Also, I’m adding two pictures of him working, even if it kinda is too late!)

Attachments

• 23878CFA-E2E6-4076-A38B-F74B666E6471.jpeg
    23878CFA-E2E6-4076-A38B-F74B666E6471.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 15
  • C69CA443-99A2-4967-BE5B-0EA30C817E18.jpeg
    C69CA443-99A2-4967-BE5B-0EA30C817E18.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom