Should I get a second opinion on my horse’s sensitivity?

He's beautiful ! And you are obviously a committed and caring owner. Between your physical challenges and his, you're doing everything you can to maintain and improve his training and health, until the time comes that you are ready to ride him yourself. What a hard road for both of you to travel, but you are working hard and making good decisions, for him and yourself. Make sure you take some time to just enjoy him when you can, just riding him at a relaxed demeanor around the countryside to look and enjoy nature will be helpful to your health as well as his.
Even though others will be riding him to progress his training and you have your own health issues to deal with, just riding him when you can, on calm, relaxed hacks, you and he will form a bond of trust with each other.

He's beautiful ! And you are obviously a committed and caring owner. Between your physical challenges and his, you're doing everything you can to maintain and improve his training and health, until the time comes that you are ready to ride him yourself. What a hard road for both of you to travel, but you are working hard and making good decisions, for him and yourself. Make sure you take some time to just enjoy him when you can, just riding him at a relaxed demeanor around the countryside to look and enjoy nature will be helpful to your health as well as his.
Even though others will be riding him to progress his training and you have your own health issues to deal with, just riding him when you can, on calm, relaxed hacks, you and he will form a bond of trust with each other.
Thank you! When my health allows it, I try to be at the barn several times a week to make sure he’s doing well. I am very lucky to have such a great barn to board him at, where the people are one big family with lots of support. I’ve been just trying to get on him as often as I can, even if that means just sitting on bareback for a few minutes.
I can say with certainty that if I didn’t have my horses and chickens, this would have taken a much harsher toll on me.
I really appreciate how kind you have been.

He’s beautiful! I’m a little late to the party, but definitely agree that it could be ulcers. Do you know what kinda cross he is?
Thank you! I am definitely planning on getting him scoped for ulcers if his symptoms persist after the vitamin E treatment and injections.
He was sold me me as a QH cross, and the trainers and staff at the farm he is boarded at think he might be Friesian/QH. He’s definitely drafty. According to them he has movement and gaits reminiscent of Friesians and similar breeds, and the big barrel and chest of a stocky QH. I don’t have any real history on him, other than what we have learned from working him. He does seem to be from a driving background, most likely Amish based on the area he was sold from.

It’s been a long time, and I don’t know how many people are still interested, but I finally have an update!
So, good news first. Finally, finally, finally, he has a diagnosis! He has a severe vitamin E deficiency and arthritis in his hocks. His left hock was close to fusing, but with injections and maintenance he is expected to be able to continue with full work. I was a little disappointed by his previous veterinarian care, as I was told multiple times that he showed no signs of either vitamin deficiencies or arthritis. It’s still unclear if we have found all the problems, but for now he has a treatment plan. He will be showing locally this year, and hopefully moving forward with his education.
Now for the not-so-great news: I will not be the one riding or showing him for the time being. I have been struggling with a yet-to-be diagnosed health condition (suspected autoimmune disorder). Unfortunately, it is affecting a large part of my life and that includes riding. I can do light pleasure rides, but until I get a treatment plan and diagnosis I will be handing over the reins on my horses’s training to my sister, a good friend, and a local trainer. I trust all three with my life, so I have no doubts that they will continue his education with grace.
A family member is helping me care for my flock of chickens as well as other pets.
I cannot thank all of you guys enough. The advice, kind words, and comments have gone a long way towards helping me through this process. I have been so incredibly grateful to everyone involved in this, both online and in person. I bought this horse as a last resort during a rough patch in my life, after a bad fall and experience on a younger horse, and he has blown me away. There has been setbacks and issues for us both, but the lessons I have learned from this have been nothing but good. I don’t know if riding is in my future right now, but I do know that I am more proud of my horse than I can say, and a lot of where he is now is due to the kind and helpful people in this community. Thank you all.
I’m sorry about your health issues! :hugs Your horse is gorgeous though! ❤️

Very last update, I promise!
For anyone still interested in how everything turned out, here it is. I had the vet inject his hocks and put him on high vitamin E doses. His sensitivity/behavioral/lameness issues continued regardless.
It has gotten worse and much less predictable, to the point that his trainer decided she was no longer going to ride him. Mind you, this woman has restarted racehorses, and started two feral horses under saddle. She is no wimp.
The local vet consulted a few others, as well as researching, and finally came to the conclusion that his symptoms are from a neurological condition. Which condition, she does not know. She took bloodwork, but in her opinion a proper diagnosis would not happen until after death.
Myself and the trainer had a long talk, and we decided it is in his best interests to stop riding him. At the end of the month, he will be coming home to live out his days in the large pasture with my other retired horse. I lack both the confidence and health to ride him, and without a diagnosis I would not be able to continue to work him in good faith.
I can say with certainty that I have done everything I can to help keep him happy, and some of that is thanks to the people on this site. Thank you all.
In the year and a half that I’ve owned him, he has learned to trust me, and I him. I’m not unhappy with the way things have turned out, because at the end of the day I still believe both of us are better off now than two years ago.

Attachments

• E654D29A-969B-41DB-A811-5C56F8D96D87.jpeg
    E654D29A-969B-41DB-A811-5C56F8D96D87.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 16
Oh, I'm so sorry that his future won't include you riding him, but glad he will live out his years with you, with good care and happiness. There's still a lot you could do with him - in-hand obstacle things, or maybe teach him some tricks? Just fun stuff to keep his mind engaged and increase your bond with him.

Back
Top Bottom